Seattle Sounders FC 0, New York City FC 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Lampard scored his second goal in as many games to put NYCFC in front in the 38th minute, but it was highly debated. The former Chelsea legend turned to receive an R.J. Allen cross and appeared to chest the ball past Sounders goalkeeper Stefan Frei.
But replays indicate that perhaps Lampard handled the ball as he turned toward goal.
Matarrita added the insurance goal three minutes from full time, lofting a pass from Mikey Lopez past Frei, who came out to challenge David Villa following a turnover deep in their own defensive third.
- 38’ – NYC – Frank Lampard (RJ Allen)
- 87’ – NYC – Ronald Matarrita (Mikey Lopez)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- ROAD WARRIORS: Wins might be hard to come by at Yankee Stadium, but NYCFC has been the league’s best road team this year. In seven games away from home, NYCFC has a league-best four wins.
- SUPER (CONTROVERSIAL) FRANK: From the moment he was linked with a move to MLS, Frank Lampard has been surrounded by controversy. His second goal in as many games is no different. He turned to receive an RJ Allen cross and bounced a shot by Stefan Frei. But did it go off his chest or his hand? You be the judge.
- SOUNDING THE ALARM?: The Sounders suffered their fifth loss in the last six games, which includes two losses at CenturyLink
SEA: U.S. Open Cup – Tuesday, June 28 at Real Salt Lake, (10 pm ET | YouTube)
NYC: Sunday, July 3 vs. New York Red Bulls (12pm ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE)