Portland Timbers 1, LA Galaxy 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Timbers pulled a goal back on Zarek Valentin's grass-cutter late in the first half, but also lost center back Nat Borchers to an apparent non-contact injury soon after; the 12th-year MLS veteran attempted to walk off the field, then stopped as teammates signaled for him to be carried off. An update by ESPN's Katie Witham during the broadcast indicated a left ankle injury.
- 7' - LA - Robbie Keane (Giovani dos Santos, Jeff Larentowicz)
- 11' - LA - Gyasi Zardes (Emmanuel Boateng, Jelle Van Damme)
- 41' - POR - Zarek Valentin (Darlington Nagbe)
- Full box score
- Watch Highlights
- LA EFFICIENCY: The Galaxy entered Week 20 in the top five for goals scored, and bottom five for shots taken, a staggering efficiency they managed to maintain on the road. They converted their first chacne in this one – a beautiful 1-2 from Giovani dos Santos to Robbie Keane – and kept their foot on the pedal until Gyasi Zardes goal gave them a comfortable cushion to sit back upon for the duration.
- JVD-to-O: Sure, he's known for his defense, but Jelle Van Damme showed some pretty spectacular passing chops in this one, with the second assist on Zardes' game-deciding strike and THIS:
- BORCHERS GOES DOWN: With Liam Ridgewell already out due to a calf strain, central back Nat Borchers suffered a leg injury in first-half stoppage time (45'+1'), taking a small skip after an aerial challenge and going down in clear pain. Known for his toughness and willingness to play through a knock, Borchers manged to get to his feet and attempted a few stiff steps before going back to the ground. Amobi Okugo subbed on, and if Borchers misses any extended time, the Timbers – already missing Ridgy – will need Okugo to step in quickly despite having played a lone minute before Saturday since joining the squad in May.