New York Red Bulls 2, DC United 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Sunday's match at Red Bull Arena began with a memorial ceremony for the 15th anniversary of 9/11. It ended in a wild 2-2 draw that saw New York head into the 89th minute up 2-0 before D.C. United clawed back to tie the match five minutes into second-half stoppage time.
Gonzalo Veron opened the scoring with a brave header on the goal line following a penetrating run from Sacha Kljestan, and Bradley Wright-Phillips added his MLS-leading 18th goal of the season in the second half, pounding a shot past DC 'keeper Bill Hamid on the break.
It looked like that would be more than enough to give the Red Bulls the three points that would have landed them atop the Eastern Conference standings. Of course, in the Atlantic Cup, looks can be deceiving.
First, Steve Birnbaum pulled a goal back in the 89th minute, slotting home in the 18-yard box. Then, Lamar Neagle put the finishing touch on the comeback late in stoppage time by bundling the ball in following a corner kick. With the draw, D.C. United are now one point below the red line, trailing Orlando City and tied with New England.
- 35' - NY - Gonzalo Veron
- 54' - NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips (Daniel Royer)
- 89' - DC - Steve Birnbaum
- 90+5' - DC - Lamar Neagle
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
1. TOGETHER, WE REMEMBER: That was the message from the South Ward in a special tifo display before kickoff in honor of the 15th anniversary of 9/11. The Red Bulls and D.C. United also honored first responders before the game and both teams wore jerseys featuring American Flag numbers.
2. MCCARTY SCRATCHED: After returning from a broken leg against the Whitecaps last weekend, Red Bulls captain Dax McCarty was held out against the team that traded him to New York, D.C. United.
3. BWP RETAKES LEADS: Wright-Phillips scored his 18th goal of the season, and now sits atop the Golden Boot race. He also broke Chris Wondolowski's record (61 goals from 2010-12) for MLS goals in a three-season span with his 62nd since the start of 2014.
- NY: Thursday, September 15 vs. Alianza (CCL), 8 pm ET (UDN, facebook.com)
- DC: Friday, September 16 at Chicago Fire, 8 pm ET (UniMas in the US | MLS LIVE in Canada)