CCL Match Preview: Santos Laguna vs. Houston Dynamo
Houston Dynamo vs. Santos Laguna
Estadio Corona, Torreón, Mexico
March 13, 2013 (CONCACAF Champions League, Quarterfinals Leg Two)
8 pm ET (Fox Soccer)
The Houston Dynamo and Santos Laguna of Mexico will meet again on Wednesday night in the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series at Estadio Corona in Torreón, Mexico. The Dynamo carry a 1-0 lead into the second leg of the two-game aggregate score series after securing a 1-0 win in the first leg on March 5 in Houston.
The club with more total goals from the two games will advance to the semifinals to face the Seattle Sounders, who defeated Tigres UANL 3-2 on aggregate. If Santos win 1-0, the match will go to a 30-minute extra time period, followd by a penalty shootout should the teams not score in extra time. If Houston win, draw, or lose by one while scoring an away goal, they will win the series. If Santos win by two or more, they will advance.
The winner of the CONCACAF Champions League will qualify for the 2013 FIFA Club World Cup, to be held in December in Morocco.
Referee: Enrico Wijngaarde (Suriname); AR1: Ricardo Louisville (Suriname); AR2: Egbert Paesch (Aruba); 4th: Rudolph Angela (Aruba).
- Dynamo hold a 1-0 lead all-time in the series
- The Dynamo defeated Santos Laguna 1-0 on March 5 in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal series at BBVA Compass Stadium
- Brad Davis scored an 83rd-minute goal to give Houston the lead heading into Wednesday's second leg
- Houston lineup: Tally Hall; Kofi Sarkodie, Bobby Boswell, Jermaine Taylor, Corey Ashe; Warren Creavalle (Brad Davis 46), Adam Moffat, Ricardo Clark (Andrew Driver 83), Boniek Garcia; Giles Barnes (Brian Ching 70); Will Bruin.
- Santos lineup: Oswaldo Sanchez; Jorge Estrada, Aaron Galindo, Felipe Baloy, Osmar Mares; Juan Pablo Rodriguez, Marc Crosas (Nestor Calderon 46), Rodolfo Salinas; Darwin Quintero (Candido Ramirez 87), Oribe Peralta, Herculez Gomez (Andres Renteria 72).
Highlights: Houston Dynamo 1, Santos Laguna 0 (3/5/2013)
- The Dynamo were given last weekend off by MLS to prepare for their Champions League quarterfinal series.
- Houston's last MLS match was a 2-0 win over D.C. United in the season opener on March 2.
- Santos Laguna was in action Saturday night, defeating Atlante 2-1 at Estadio Corona to increase their unbeaten streak in league play to four games.
- Herculez Gomez and Oribe Peralta scored goals in the win over Atlante.
- Ten players who started the first leg against the Dynamo also started Saturday's match against Atlante.
- Santos lineup: Oswaldo Sanchez; Jorge Estrada, Andres Galindo, Felipe Baloy, Osmar Mares; Nestor Calderon, Juan Rodriguez, Rodolfo Salinas, Darwin Quintero; Herculez Gomez, Oribe Peralta.