Sporting KCSKC

Seattle Sounders 0, Sporting Kansas City 0 | MLS Match Recap

SEATTLE -- There would be no stoppage-time heroics for the Seattle Sounders this time against Sporting Kansas City.

Although the Sounders built a track record of scoring crucial late goals to grab results against Sporting in recent years, the two sides grinded to a scoreless draw Saturday night at CenturyLink Field in a defensive battle that showcased few offensive fireworks.

But Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Frei was forced to make a diving save in stoppage time to deny Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber, thwarting what was probably the closest opportunity for either team.

The first half ended with neither team able to convert on the few chances generated.

Kansas City had a decent look in the 9th minute after a long throw-in from Jalil Anibaba made its way to the feet of forward Krisztian Nemeth, who was starting alone up top after Dom Dwyer was a late scratch for the visitors. However, Nemeth couldn’t get much power on his shot, allowing Frei to make the comfortable save.

Seattle had their best chance on goal in the first half when Marco Pappa found Gonzalo Pineda in space along the right sideline in the 32nd minute. Pineda lofted a cross into the Sporting KC box into the path of a leaping Lamar Neagle, but the header attempt trickled wide of SKC ‘keeper Tim Melia.

Sounders center back Brad Evans tried to find his way onto the scoresheet just minutes later after stealing the ball in his own half and charging full-speed in the other direction toward the SKC goal. But Evans’ subsequent shot from distance sailed high of Melia, ensuring the match remained scoreless after the first 45 minutes.

A fresh start in the second half seemed to open things up a bit, with the Sounders getting a great chance shortly after second-half kickoff when Neagle found himself with a one-on-one opportunity against Melia on a breakaway. But Neagle couldn’t give the Sounders the go-ahead goal, placing his shot wide right.

Sporting Kansas City forward Jacob Peterson had a chance of his own in the 51st minute after defender Amadou Dia whipped a cross into the Seattle box, but his header was directed right at Frei.

Feilhaber had SKC’s final salvo in the 92nd minute, firing a laser shot from distance. It would have been a highlight-reel winner, but the Seattle ‘keeper made the leaping save and deflected the ball out of bounds, allowing the Sounders to hang on to the point.

With the result, Seattle (6-3-2, 20pts) moved into a tie with the Vancouver Whitecaps for second place in the Western Conference ahead of a midweek battle against Colorado (10 pm ET, MLS LIVE). Sporting Kansas City move to 4-2-6 (18pts) on the season ahead of their upcoming matchup next Friday – a return home to face Western Conference-leading FC Dallas (9 pm ET, UniMas).

Connection Lost. Reconnecting...

Generate a preview before publishing.