New EnglandNE
Official Timekeeper of MLS

New England Revolution 2, Chicago Fire 0 | MLS Match Recap

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution broke a halftime stalemate with two second-half goals in a three-minute span to sink the Chicago Fire 2-0 at Gillette Stadium on Saturday night, breaking a six-game winless streak (0-2-4) in the process.

While the Fire, whose numbers were depleted due to three starters (David Accam, Joevin Jones, Shaun Maloney) being called up to international duties, played things fairly even over the first 45 minutes, things caught up to them in the opening minutes of the second half.

After Andy Dorman got a head on a Lee Nguyen corner-kick delivery near the Fire front post in the 48th minute, the ball spun high towards the top of the penalty box, where Diego Fagundez smashed a perfectly timed right-footed volley into the right side of the net, leaving goalkeeper Jon Busch with no chance.

Just two minutes later it was Nguyen again at the start of something good, laying the ball into the box for Fagundez, who dished over to Teal Bunbury, whose cross/shot was headed home by Charlie Davies from close range.

Fire coach Frank Yallop brought on Jason Johnson for Greg Cochrane in a push for more offense and it almost paid off in the 79th minute when the charging forward just missed heading home an excellent cross from Eric Gehrig.

That combo came through for the Fire again in the 90th minute and thought Johnson this time got his shot on, Bobby Shuttleworth was in position to parry it aside.

New England won the possession battle on the night and presented the bulk of offensive chances early in the first half, seeing two separate crosses just miss out on the final touch in the first 10 minutes.

Chicago got their first big opportunity in the 14th minute when Cochrane sent a service in from the left side to a rising Harry Shipp, whose header went just high of the crossbar.

With the win, the Revolution improve to 11-0-6 over their last 17 regular season matches at Gillette Stadium.

It was the third straight loss for the Fire, who have gone 1-4-2 since the start of May.

The Fire return home to host Louisville City in a US Open Cup match on Tuesday night, then resume MLS action with a June 24 home match vs. D.C. United. The Revolution begin their Open Cup with a Wednesday date with the Charlotte Independence before hitting the road for a Father’s Day matinee at D.C.  

Connection Lost. Reconnecting...

Generate a preview before publishing.