LA Galaxy vs. San Jose Earthquakes | MLS Match Preview
LA GALAXY vs. SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
STUBHUB CENTER, Carson, Calif.
July 17, 2015 (MLS Game #194)
11 pm ET (UniMas)
Be sure to tune in before the start of the match as UniMás will have an exclusive 1-on-1 interview with Steven Gerrard in the pregame.
The LA Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes meet in the second California Clasico in league play – and the third time in all competitions – when the clubs face off on Viernes de Fútbol at StubHub Center. The Galaxy return to league play after resuming their impressive roll on their home ground, defeating Toronto FC 4-0 two weeks ago in Carson. The Quakes head south off back-to-back league defeats, last a 2-0 loss to the Houston Dynamo at Avaya Stadium.
- The Galaxy return to action after a weekend away from league play, their last MLS contest a 4-0 win against Toronto FC on July 4, paced by a hat trick from Robbie Keane. The Galaxy have scored 14 goals in their last three league games at StubHub Center.
- The Quakes have lost back-to-back matches by shutout, after their 2-0 defeat by the Houston Dynamo on Fridayevening at Avaya Stadium.
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season in league play. An early goal from Chris Wondolowski sent the Quakes on their way, and second-half goals from Clarence Goodson and Cordell Cato gave them a 3-1 win June 27 at Stanford Stadium. The teams also met in a U.S. Open Cup fifth-round match just three days after the league encounter, Jose Villarreal scoring the game’s only goal after six minutes to send the Galaxy through.
- The last two meetings at StubHub Center have ended in draws, including a 2-2 result in the only Carson matchup a year ago.
- The Galaxy have won just once in the last 11 regular season meetings in northern California, across three stadiums – a 1-0 victory last year at Stanford Stadium. The Quakes finished undefeated against the Galaxy in league play at their former Buck Shaw Stadium home (2-0-3).
REFEREE: Alan Kelly. AR1 (bench): Adam Wienckowski; AR2 (opposite): Jeff Hosking; 4th: Kevin Stott
MLS Career: 25 games; FC/gm: 26.0; Y/gm: 3.2; R: 9; pens: 7
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: LA: Baggio Husidic, Robbie Rogers
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: LA: Juninho, Mika Vayrynen, Omar Gonzalez … SJ: Fatai Alashe, Clarence Goodson
DISABLED LIST: LA: Brian Perk (season-ending injury)
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: LA: Alan Gordon, Omar Gonzalez, Gyasi Zardes (USA, CONCACAF Gold Cup); Jaime Penedo (Panama, CONCACAF Gold Cup) ... SJ: Chris Wondolowski (USA, CONCACAF Gold Cup); Cordell Cato (Trinidad & Tobago, CONCACAF Gold Cup)
ALL-TIME (58 meetings): Galaxy 27 wins (4 shootout), 90 goals… Earthquakes 19 wins (1 shootout), 78 goals…Ties 12
AT LA (27 meetings): Galaxy 17 wins (2 shootout), 50 goals … Earthquakes 5 wins (0 shootout), 32 goals … Ties 5
FUTURE MATCH: 8/28: San Jose Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy, 8 p.m. PT (UniMas)