New York City FC vs. Orlando City SC | MLS Match Preview
New York City FC vs. Orlando City SC
YANKEE STADIUM, Bronx, NYC
July 26, 2015 (MLS Game # 210)
2:30 pm ET (FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes, FOX Sports GO, TSN2)
The expansion class of 2015 meets for a second time ever in a contest that has huge playoff implications when New York City FC take on Orlando City SC at Yankee Stadium on Sunday afternoon before a FOX Sports 1 audience. The teams enter the match separated by three points, with Orlando City holding onto the final playoff placing in the division, just ahead of NYCFC. The hosts saw their two-game undefeated run put to an end in a 1-0 loss at the New England Revolution last week, while Orlando City have lost two in a row following their 2-0 home loss to the New York Red Bulls.
REFEREE: Alan Kelly. AR1 (bench): Corey Parker; AR2 (opposite): Eric Weisbrod; 4th: Robert Sibiga
MLS Career: 26 games; FC/gm: 26.2; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 9; pens: 9
SUSPENDED: NYC: Ned Grabavoy (through July 26); Jason Hernandez (caution accumulation; through July 26) … ORL: Cristian Higuita (caution accumulation; through July 26); Adrian Heath (head coach; through July 26)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: NYC: Mehdi Ballouchy, Kwadko Poku, Kwame Watson-Siriboe
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: NYC: Shay Facey, R.J. Allen, Chris Wingert, Andrew Jacobson … ORL: Kevin Molino, Carlos Rivas, Darwin Ceren, Brek Shea, Rafael Ramos
DISABLED LIST: NYC: Tony Taylor
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: NYC: Mix Diskerud (USA, CONCACAF Gold Cup)
ALL-TIME: NYCFC 0 wins, 1 goal … Orlando City SC 0 wins, 1 goal … 0 ties
AT YANKEE STADIUM: First meeting.
FUTURE MATCH: 10/16: Orlando City SC vs. New York City FC, 7 p.m. ET (UniMas)
- The teams are meeting for the second time, the first meeting the first match in both clubs’ MLS history. Orlando City’s Kaká scored a dramatic free kick goal in stoppage time, answering a Mix Diskerud strike for NYCFC earlier in the second half, leaving the teams in a 1-1 draw March 8 at the Citrus Bowl.
- The first meeting was the first time in MLS history two incoming expansion teams faced each other in their first ever league match. They will meet for the final time this season Oct. 16 in Orlando.
- Coaches record: Jason Kreis vs. ORL: P1 W0 L0 T1 … Adrian Heath vs. NYC: P1 W0 L0 T1
LAST MEETING (MLS)
3/8: ORL 1, NYC 1 (Kaka 91+ -- Diskerud 76)
- NYCFC took the against the run of play in the 76th minute when Mix Diskerud collected a deflected pass at the left corner of the area from a short corner, and threaded a sublime low effort into the bottom right corner of Donovan Ricketts' goal.
- The home side then went down a man in the 83rd minute when Aurelien Collin was sent off for a serious foul.
- But, seemingly as if on an opening day script, Kaka found an answer for Orlando City, stepping up with a 20-yard free-kick that burrowed into the net after taking a deflection off defender Jeb Brovsky and leaving goalkeeper Josh Saunders wrong-footed, sending the sell-out crowd of 62,510 into a frenzy.
- NEW YORK CITY FC (4-4-2): Josh Saunders - Josh Williams, Jason Hernandez, Chris Wingert, Jeb Brovsky - Mehdi Ballouchy (Khiry Shelton 62), Andrew Jacobson, Mix Diskerud (Sebastian Velasquez 88), Ned Grabavoy - David Villa, Adam Nemec (Javier Calle 89).
- ORLANDO CITY SC (4-2-3-1): Donovan Ricketts - Rafael Ramos, Aurelien Collin (sent off 83), Seb Hines, Brek Shea - Amobi Okugo, Cristian Higuita - Kevin Molino, Kaka, Lewis Neal (Bryan Rochez 80) - Carlos Rivas (Sean St. Ledger 90).