Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Colorado Rapids | MLS Match Preview
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC vs COLORADO RAPIDS
BC PLACE, Vancouver, B.C.
September 9, 2015 (WEEK 28, MLS Game #273)
7 p.m. PT (TSN1 / RDS2; Altitude)
A pair of clubs chasing different goals in the Western Conference playoff race meet when Vancouver Whitecaps FC play host to the Colorado Rapids at BC Place on Wednesday evening. Whitecaps FC are just a point out of the top spot in the division and in the Supporters’ Shield race, despite coming off a 2-0 loss at the Houston Dynamo in their last match. The Rapids sit six points outside the top six in the conference and the postseason positions, after their third win in a row in a 2-1 home victory against Sporting Kansas City in their last game.
- The teams are meeting for the third time this season, and the Rapids have won both previous. Lucas Pittinari scored the game’s only goal early in the second half to lead the Rapids to victory, May 23 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park; a Kevin Doyle goal in the second half propelled the Rapids to a 2-1 win July 4 in Commerce City.
- The Rapids have won the last five meetings between the teams at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park; Whitecaps FC won there in 2012 for their lone triumph on the Rapids’ home ground.
- The Rapids win last April 5 in Vancouver was only their second victory ever at BC Place. The Whitecaps won the last meeting in Vancouver, a 1-0 win last Oct. 25.
- Last time out, Whitecaps FC suffered their second defeat in a three-game span, falling 2-0 to the Houston Dynamo last Saturday evening at BBVA Compass Stadium. Whitecaps FC are now in second place in the Western Conference with 45 points from 27 matches.
- The Colorado Rapids won their third consecutive game last week, getting a late winner for a 2-1 win against Sporting Kansas City on Saturday evening at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The Rapids are in ninth place in the Western Conference with 33 points from 26 matches.
REFEREE: Allen Chapman. AR1 (bench): George Gansner; AR2 (opposite): Jeremy Hanson; 4th: Baboucarr Jallow
MLS Career: 67 games; FC/gm: 23.4; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 16; pens: 29
SUSPENDED: VAN: Matias Laba (through Sept. 19); Kendall Waston (through Sept. 9) … COL: Drew Moor (caution accumulation; through Sept. 9); COL: Axel Sjoberg (caution accumulation; through Sept. 9)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: VAN: Sam Adekugbe, Pa-Modou Kah … COL: Lucas Pittinari, Jared Watts
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: VAN: Jordan Harvey, Steven Beitashour, Gershon Koffie, Nicolas Mezquida, Cristian Techera, Kendall Waston … COL: James Riley, Kevin Doyle, Sam Cronin
DISABLED LIST: VAN: Andre Lewis
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: None
ALL-TIME (13 meetings): Whitecaps FC 4 wins, 14 goals … Rapids 8 wins, 18 goals … Ties 1
AT VANCOUVER (6 meetings): Whitecaps FC 3 wins, 9 goals … Rapids 2 wins, 6 goals … Ties 1
5/23: COL 1, VAN 0 (Pittinari 51)
7/4: COL 2, VAN 1 (Sanchez 2; Doyle 56 – Manneh 20)
• Coaches record: Carl Robinson vs. COL: P5 W1 L4 D0 … Pablo Mastroeni vs. VAN: P5 W4 L1 D0
Whitecaps' compact Cristian Techera delivers sleeper-hit debut MLS season
Rapids look for youngsters to step up as Kevin Doyle departs for international duty
With two key players suspended, Whitecaps turn to squad depth to kick off September
CHECK OUT THE INJURY REPORT HEADING INTO THE MATCH
CHECK OUT THE DISCIPLINARY REPORT HEADING INTO THE MATCH