LA Galaxy 4, DC United 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The LA Galaxy went down early, but came storming back in the second half to defeat D.C. United 4-1 on Sunday at StubHub Center. Lamar Neagle opened the scoring for D.C. just five minutes into the game and the visitors could have easily doubled their lead on a handful of occasions.
LA took advantage and finally equalized in the 54th minute with MLS debutant Daniel Steres scoring on a booming header off a Mike Magee corner kick. Magee took care of the go-ahead goal himself just 10 minutes later when he chipped the goalkeeper from inside the area. Robbie Keane iced the result with a penalty kick in the final 10 minutes of the game and Magee added his second goal minutes later with a header off a Steven Gerrard free kick.
- 5' – DC – Lamar Neagle
- 54' – LA – Daniel Steres (Mike Magee)
- 64' – LA – Mike Magee (Sebastian Lletget)
- 83' – LA – Robbie Keane (PK)
- 87' – LA – Mike Magee (Steven Gerrard)
- Full box score
- MAGIC MIKE MAKES TRIUMPHANT RETURN: The story of this game has to be the introduction and subsequent performance of Magee, who was subbed in to start the second half in place of an injured Giovani Dos Santos and was involved in every Galaxy goal, scoring two himself, setting up a third and drawing the penalty on the fourth. Here's the goal of the night:
- NEWCOMERS RULE: So Magee was making his "re-debut" with LA, but aside from him, Neagle, Steres and Ashley Cole all had good MLS debuts for their respective clubs. For Steres, scoring and grabbing a win in his first MLS appearance after impressing for some time at the USL level made it quite a special night.
- INJURY CONCERNS FOR LA: Both Dos Santos and Galaxy starting goalkeeper Dan Kennedy were forced to leave the game due to injury. Their status will most likely be a hot topic for the week ahead.
Update: Left leg injury for Giovani dos Santos. He was taken out as a precaution. Kennedy also left with a leg injury.— Adam Serrano (@LAGalaxyInsider) March 7, 2016
- LA: Saturday 3/12 at Colorado Rapids (7 pm ET, MLS LIVE)
- DC: Saturday 3/12 at New England Revolution (3 pm ET, MLS LIVE)