Houston Dynamo 5, FC Dallas 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Houston Dynamo hadn’t defeated FC Dallas in their previous five meetings – and they apparently had enough of being the Texas Derby losers. A stunning four-goal Dynamo lead in just the 27th minute unnerved FCD, who were unable to find their footing in at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.
Though Dallas finished the night out-shooting the Dynamo, 11-to-8, Houston produced the better chances, putting young goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez under relentless pressure. An 85th-minute Will Bruin strike capped off the romp for an astonishing 5-0 final score. Andrew Wenger was particularly productive, tallying two assists and a goal of his own.
1. STAKES, RAISED: Given the recent history of the Texas Derby and last year’s standings, there weren’t exactly widespread expectations that the first match of the 2016 series would offer surprises. But the Dynamo appeared eager to turn the tide, scoring a barrage of early goals to take the match by the horns. Dallas, the clear favorites heading in, will be keen to get revenge as the Texas Derby series continues this season.
2. GONZALEZ, RATTLED ON THE ROAD: Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez was one of the breakout performers for FC Dallas last season; it was easy to forget he's just 20 years old. But his inexperience might have been at least part of FCD’s undoing. David Horst's sixth-minute goal seemed to rattle the young 'keeper, and a dreadful miscommunication between Gonzalez and defender Matt Hedges led to an own goal just seven minutes later, followed soon after by another two scores.
3. DYNAMO DEPTH: It’s only the second week, but Dynamo coach Owen Coyle will likely be pleased to see four different goalscorers against a strong FC Dallas side. What’s more, the Dynamo were forced to used two subs in the first half on Giles Barnes and Cristian Maidana, both for injury, but the team never really skipped a beat. Has Coyle built a Dynamo squad that could land in the playoffs for the first time since 2013?
- 6' -- HOU -- David Horst (Andrew Wenger)
- 13' -- HOU -- Matt Hedges (OG)
- 23' -- HOU -- Ricardo Clark (Andrew Wenger)
- 27' -- HOU -- Andrew Wenger
- 85' -- HOU -- Will Bruin (Leonel Miranda)
- Full box score
- Match stats
- Watch full highlights
- HOU: Saturday 3/19 at New York Red Bulls (7pm ET, MLS Live)
- FCD: Saturday 3/19 vs. Montreal Impact (9pm ET, MLS Live)