New England Revolution vs. DC United | MLS Match Preview
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION vs. D.C. UNITED
GILLETTE STADIUM, Foxborough, Mass.
March 12, 2016 (WEEK 2, MLS Game #12)
3 PM ET (MLS LIVE)
One of the oldest rivalries in all of Major League Soccer is reborn in the second week of the new season as the New England Revolution play host to D.C. United on Saturday afternoon at Gillette Stadium. Both teams are looking for their first victory of the year. The Revolution scored a dramatic goal deep in stoppage time to snatch a 3-3 at the Houston Dynamo, while United went down to a 4-1 defeat at the LA Galaxy.
- Diego Fagundez played a part in all three goals as the Revolution came back for a dramatic 3-3 draw at the Houston Dynamo in their season opener. Fagundez scored the Revolution’s opening goal of the season after just 3 minutes – matching the earliest goal in a season in the club’s history – then assisted on the Revs’ final two goals, including the stoppage-time equalizer from Daigo Kobayashi.
- United fell to a 4-1 defeat to the LA Galaxy at StubHub Center in their season opener, as Lamar Neagle scored the club’s first goal of the season after just five minutes.
- United had the upper hand in the season series between the clubs a year ago, winning one of the two regular season matches, with one draw. They won 2-1 on June 21 at RFK Stadium, their second consecutive home win vs. the Revolution in league play. The teams reached a 1-1 draw May 23 at Gillette Stadium, extending the Revs’ home undefeated streak to four games vs. United in league play.
- The teams also met in the MLS Cup Playoffs, United taking a 2-1 win at RFK Stadium in the Knockout Round. United have won three of the four series all-time between the teams in the MLS Cup Playoffs.
REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. AR1 (bench): Peter Manikowski; AR2 (opposite): Claudio Badea; 4th: Robert Sibiga
MLS Career: 106 games; FC/gm: 27.6; Y/gm: 3.6; R: 14; pens: 21
DISABLED LIST: DC: Bill Hamid
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (66 meetings): Revolution 26 wins (3 shootout), 84 goals … United 30 wins (4 shootout), 95 goals … Ties 10
AT NEW ENGLAND (33 meetings): Revolution 17 wins (2 shootout), 40 goals … United 10 wins (2 shootout), 34 goals … Ties 6
RETURN MATCHES: 4/23: D.C. United vs. New England Revolution, 5:30 p.m. ET; 6/22: D.C. United vs. New England Revolution, 8 p.m. ET
LAST YEAR (MLS):
5/23: NE 1, DC 1 (Davies 46+ - Arrieta 80)
6/21: DC 2, NE 1 (Rolfe 70, 81 - Davies 10)
- Coaches record: Ben Olsen vs. NE: P13 W5 L6 D2 … Jay Heaps vs. DC: P10 W3 L5 D2