Real Salt Lake 2, Seattle Sounders 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Real Salt Lake were undone by late goals in their season opener, but found one of their own on Saturday to pick up a 2-1 victory over the Seattle Sounders. Jamison Olave scored the winner in the 86th minute, rising to head a ball past debuting Seattle goalkeeper Tyler Miller, who got the start because incumbent Stefan Frei was unavailable due to injury.
The Sounders drew first blood in the match at Rio Tinto Stadium in 28th minute, as Osvaldo Alonso finished from close range following a Nick Rimando save on Nelson Haedo Valdez. Sunny Obayan started RSL's comeback, however, by powerfully heading home a Joao Plata corner kick two minutes before halftime. Olave then assured Jeff Cassar's side would collect all three points by nodding a Juan Manuel Martinez cross home in the final minutes.
- 28' -- SEA -- Osvaldo Alonso
- 43' -- RSL -- Sunny Obayan (Joao Plata)
- 86' -- RSL -- Jamison Olave (Juan Manuel Martinez, Joao Plata)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- HOME SWEET HOME: With Saturday's victory, Real Salt Lake remained undefeated all-time in MLS home openers and is now 5-0-7 in those games.
- PLATA POWER: Joao Plata has gotten off to an incredible start with Real Salt Lake in 2016. He has scored or assisted on each of the club's five goals through four matches across all competitions.
- ALONSO SNAPS SCORING DROUGHT: When Osvaldo Alonso found the back of the net in the 28th minute, he scored for the first time in 96 games. The last time the veteran defensive midfielder had netted was back on July 28, 2012 in a 2-1 Sounders win over the Colorado Rapids.
- RSL: Saturday 3/19 at Portland (10:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE)
- SEA: Saturday 3/19 vs. Vancouver (10 pm ET, TSN1)