FC Dallas 2, Montreal Impact 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Didier Drogba earned his first minutes of the 2016 season, but FC Dallas spoiled his debut by taking a 2-0 home win over the Montreal Impact. Both of Dallas' goals came late in the second half and courtesy of a pair of Argentines, as Mauro Diaz found the winner via a free kick before Maximiliano Urruti scored with an impressive half volley.
Impact head coach Mauro Biello inserted Drogba into the game in the 70th minute to try and break the scoreless deadlock at Toyota Stadium, but it was FC Dallas who found the breakthrough nine minutes later. Montreal had some chances to find the back of the net, but were unable to finish.
The result leaves both clubs with identical 2-1-0 records.
- 79' -- DAL -- Mauro Diaz
- 87' -- DAL -- Maximiliano Urruti (Tesho Akindele)
- Full box score
- Watch full highlights
- AGGRESSIVE IN THE ATTACK: FC Dallas looked the more dangerous side for large stretches of the match, and outshot the Impact, 15-6, on the night. Six of the hosts' shots were on target compared to Montreal's two.
- HOME COOKING: Dallas improved to 2-0 on the season when playing inside the comforts of Toyota Stadium, and both wins came via shutout. The other victory was also of the 2-0 variety, but over the Philadelphia Union back in the season opener.
- IMPACT CATALYSTS STRUGGLE: Impact duo Ignacio Piatti and Harry Shipp were unable to replicate their performances from the opening two weeks of the campaign in this one. Piatti finished with zero shots on the night while Shipp had one that was not on frame.
- DAL: Sat. March 26 at D.C. United (5:30 p.m. ET, MLS LIVE)
- MTL: Sat. Apr. 2 at Seattle Sounders (10 p.m. ET, MLS LIVE)