Portland Timbers 2, Real Salt Lake 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Portland Timbers battled back late against Real Salt Lake, scoring two goals after the 75th minute to earn a well-contested point. Fanendo Adi scored on cleanup play in the penalty area, then minutes later smashed home a penalty kick straight down the middle. RSL finished the game with 9 men, as the rough affair saw two teams battle hard until the final whistle.
Despite being shorthanded, RSL were able to hold off the Timbers pressure after the halftime break. Eventually, Yura Movsisyan took advantage of a misplayed ball by Nat Borchers, streaking down the flank and scoring his first goal since being loaned back to his former club.
The draw extends a seven-match winless streak for the Timbers at home against RSL.
- 16’ -- RSL-- Joao Plata
- 52' -- RSL -- Yura Movsisyan
- 79' -- POR -- Fanendo Adi
- 84' -- POR -- Fanendo Adi (PK)
- Full box score
- Watch Full Highlights
- ADI ONLY SCORES TWICE: There's a truism in MLS circles that if Adi scores, he's going to score twice. In fact, with 10 such two-goal games since the start of the 2014 MLS season Adi leads the league during that span.
- STREAK NO MORE: Real Salt Lake came into the match looking to break an extended goal-less streak against the Timbers. The first-half goal allowed by Portland was the first by RSL against them since June 7th, 2014. It wasn't enough to end Salt Lake's winless streak while carrying a red card, which also dates back to 2014.
- WE MISSED YOU: Loaned back to his former team, Yura's goal was his first for the Claret and Cobalt since October 24, 2009. That's quite a gap between goals. It was his 16th goal all time for RSL, in 54 appearances.
They Said It
"For us it was just about trying to get a goal. When we got that first goal things changed for us, we believed we could pull off a victory."
—Fanendo Adi, Portland Timbers
- POR: Sat., Apr. 2 vs. Sporting Kansas City (8:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE)
- RSL: Sun., Apr. 3 vs. Orlando City (8 pm ET, TSN, FS1)