Mexico 2, Canada 0 | 2018 World Cup Qualifying Match Recap
The Azteca continues to be the toughest venue in CONCACAF.
Canada's road to the Hex got a little bit tougher after failing to get any points against Mexico during their home and home series. They'll have to try and get a result on the road against Honduras, who currently lead them on goal differential, in September. Second place in Group A will ultimately be decided on the final day.
Mexico's first goal was set up as Marco Fabian was playing the ball across the penalty box where he was taken down by Doneil Henry. Andrés Guardado stepped up to take the penalty kick, and although Milan Borjan guessed correctly, the shot had too much pace and blasted right by him.
Borjan had to leave the match with a left hand injury just before halftime, asking to be taken out after a lengthy delay. The Canadian goalkeeper had made two key saves to keep them in the match. Kyriakos Stamatopoulos had to come in cold and let in a goal keep into first half stoppage time. Jesús Manuel Corona showed his skill coming up with a class finish to put Mexico up for good.
- ROUGH ROAD TO THE HEX - Points are never easy to come by against Mexico, especially at the Azteca, but failing to score hurts the Canadian team in the goal differential department. Honduras managed a win and a draw, and now hold a three goal lead in the first tiebreaker with Mexico away in September.
- IN LIKE FLYNN - Mexico are the first team to qualify for the Hex, with four straight victories in group play. While Honduras are 0-1-7 in World Cup Qualifiers all time on the road against Mexico, they'll get to face a Mexican which could use a more experimental roster with qualification wrapped up.
- TALE OF TWO HALVES - Stamatopoulos faced a tough task in trying to keep a pressing Mexico off the board through first-half stoppage, but after halftime his job was much simpler. He didn't have to make any saves as Mexico failed to direct a shot on target in the second half.
They Said It
Mexico just got booed for winning 2-0 vs Canada at home? Times are tough…— herculez gomez (@herculezg) March 30, 2016
- 17' - MEX - Andrés Guardado (PK)
- 45+4' - MEX - Jesús Manuel Corona
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
- MEX (WCQs): Friday, 9/2 at El Salvador
- CAN (WCQs): Friday, 9/2 at Honduras