San Jose Earthquakes vs. DC United | MLS Match Preview
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. D.C. UNITED
AVAYA STADIUM, San Jose, California
APRIL 2, 2016 (WEEK 5, MLS GAME #41)
10:30 pm ET (MLS LIVE, CSN-Bay Area, NewsChannel 8)
Almost 20 years to the day after playing the first match in Major League Soccer, the San Jose Earthquakes and D.C. United meet again when the clubs face off Saturday evening at Avaya Stadium. The Quakes return home coming off of their first defeat of the season, a 3-1 loss at the LA Galaxy two weeks ago. United are still looking for their first victory of the young season after suffering a 3-0 loss to FC Dallas at RFK Stadium last weekend.
- Chris Wondolowski scored for a third consecutive game to start the season, but the Quakes lost for the first time in 2016 in their last match, falling 3-1 to the LA Galaxy at StubHub Center on March 19. It’s the first time in his career Wondolowski has scored in each of the first three games to open a season.
- D.C. United remain winless on the season, suffering a second loss after a pair of draws in their 3-0 defeat by FC Dallas on Saturday afternoon at RFK Stadium.
REFEREE: Fotis Bazakos. AR1 (bench): Adam Wienckowski; AR2 (opposite): Cameron Blanchard; 4th: Ricardo Salazar
Bazakos MLS Career: 50 games; FC/gm: 27.2; Y/gm: 3.8; R: 12; pens: 16
SUSPENDED: DC: Marcelo Sarvas (through April 3)
DISABLED LIST: DC: Bill Hamid
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME MLS (36 meetings): Earthquakes 17 wins (3 shootout), 56 goals … United 13 wins (0 shootout), 58 goals … Ties 6
AT SAN JOSE (18 meetings): Earthquakes 8 wins (1 shootout), 29 goals … United 4 wins (0 shootout), 25 goals … Ties 6
LAST YEAR (MLS)
8/22: DC 0, SJ 2 (Wondolowski 4; Salinas 52)
- This is the only league meeting between the teams this season.
- The Quakes won the only meeting between the teams a year ago, a 2-0 win Aug. 22 at RFK Stadium, snapping a two-game United winning streak in the all-time series. The Quakes have won four of their last trips to the nation’s capital; the only United home win in the series since 2009 came in a 1-0 victory June 22, 2013.
- United won the last meeting between the teams at Buck Shaw Stadium, a 2-1 win in 2014 which was their second win in their last three visits to San Jose. United’s win there in 2011 was their first on the road against San Jose since 1998.
Dominic Kinnear vs. DC: P28 W15 L8 D5
Ben Olsen vs. SJ: P7 W3 L4 D0