Vancouver Whitecaps 0, LA Galaxy 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Vancouver Whitecaps and LA Galaxy played to a scoreless stalemate on Saturday at BC Place.
Featuring strong defensive play on both sides, neither team displayed finishing good enough to take a goal, and both goalkeepers played well to keep the game 0-0.
The game changed instantly in the 28th minute, as Vancouver's Matias Laba was shown a straight red card by referee Jair Marrufo for a challenge in midfield on Mike Magee, reducing the hosts to 10 men. But despite being up a man for more than an hour, the Galaxy could not take advantage, and both sides notch their first draws of the 2016 season.
- ANOTHER CONTENTIOUS RED CARD: Laba's ejection is likely to be the big talking point coming from the game. Some will argue that the decision is overly harsh, while others will say the call is in line with other red cards given so far this season. Regardless, it's another tough blow for Vancouver, who have already had another player sent off during a game and two additional players given suspensions by the MLS Disciplinary Committee in 2016.
- INJURIES HURT WHITECAPS: Not one, but two key contributors on offense for Vancouver exited the game in the first half, as captain Pedro Morales departed in the 19th minute and Kekuta Manneh was taken off a few minutes before halftime. Coupled with none of LA's Designated Players making the trip to Vancouver due to injury themselves, it's perhaps less surprising the offense was not fully clicking for either side on the night.
- OUSTED STANDS TALL: Brian Rowe made a couple of necessary saves to keep the score level for LA, but David Ousted made four saves as Vancouver bunkered to preserve a point near the end of the match. The best of the lot? This point-blank stop in the dying minutes of the game.
- VAN: Saturday, April 9 at D.C. United (5:30 pm ET, MLS Live in US, TSN in Canada)
- LA: Sunday, April 10 vs. Portland Timbers (9:30 pm ET, FS1, MLS Live)