San Jose Earthquakes vs. New York Red Bulls | MLS Match Preview
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. NEW YORK RED BULLS
AVAYA STADIUM, San Jose, California
APRIL 13, 2016 (WEEK 7, MLS GAME #54)
10:30 pm ET (MLS LIVE, CSN-CA, MSG+)
A pair of clubs which have gotten off to opposite starts meet in an interconference matchup when the San Jose Earthquakes play host to the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday evening at Avaya Stadium. The Quakes have lost just once in five games this season, returning home off a 2-2 draw at FC Dallas last Saturday evening. The Red Bulls have won just once in five outings – with four losses, all by shutout – hitting the road following a 2-0 defeat by Sporting Kansas City at Red Bull Arena over the weekend.
- Chris Wondolowski scored his fourth goal in the five matches this season as the Quakes reached a second consecutive draw in a 2-2 result with FC Dallas on Saturday evening in Frisco, Texas.
- The Red Bulls suffered their fourth loss in five matches this season – all by shutout – after their 2-0 defeat by Sporting Kansas City on Saturday evening at Red Bull Arena.
REFEREE: David Gantar. AR1 (bench): Frank Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Mike Kampmeinert; 4th: Alejandro Mariscal
Gantar MLS Career: 41 games; FC/gm: 25.9; Y/gm: 2.6; R: 17; pens: 8
DISABLED LIST: NY: Damien Perrinelle
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
Earthquakes lead 17W-13L-9D in all competitions.
MLS REGULAR SEASON (36 meetings):
Earthquakes 16 wins (2 shootout), 54 goals … Red Bulls 11 wins (0 shootout), 52 goals … Ties 9
REGULAR SEASON AT SAN JOSE (17 meetings):
Earthquakes 12 wins (2 shootout), 36 goals … Red Bulls 2 wins (0 shootout), 17 goals … Ties 3
PLAYOFFS (1 series, 2 games, 2010 Eastern Conference semifinals):
Earthquakes 1 win, 3 goals … Red Bulls 1 win, 1 goal … Earthquakes 1 series win
US OPEN CUP (1 meeting, 2009 quarterfinals):
Earthquakes 0 wins, 1 goal … Red Bulls 1 win, 2 goals
LAST YEAR (MLS):
4/17: NYR 2, SJ 0 (Kljestan 29; Grella 35)
- The Red Bulls won the lone meeting between the teams last year, a 2-0 win April 17 at Red Bull Arena, their first victory against the Earthquakes since the 2011 season. The Quakes won one of the four meetings in between, a 2-1 win in 2013 at Buck Shaw Stadium, with three draws.
- New York last won at San Jose in 2003, a 2-0 MetroStars victory at Spartan Stadium. The Quakes have won five of the eight home games since vs. New York, with three draws.
- The Quakes have not won at New York since 2005. Since San Jose’s return to MLS, the Red Bulls have won five home encounters with the Quakes, with two draws.
- Coaches' records:
Dominic Kinnear vs. NY: P27 W6 L12 D9
Jesse Marsch vs. SJ: P2 W2 L0 D0