San Jose Earthquakes 2, New York Red Bulls 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The San Jose Earthquakes remain unbeaten at Avaya Stadium in 2016, as they defeated the New York Red Bulls 2-0 on Wednesday.
The hosts grabbed the lead a few minutes before halftime. A ball was played into the 18-yard box, and San Jose players circulated the ball around as New York defenders closed down. Matias Perez Garcia eventually sent a pass to Fatai Alashe, near the top of the box, whose one-timer deflected off Kemar Lawrence on its way past Luis Robles in goal.
San Jose doubled their lead in the 55th minute, as Shea Salinas connected with Chris Wondolowski on a cross from the left wing that the striker headed home. They are now 3-0-1 at home so far this season.
- 40' - SJ - Fatai Alashe (Matias Perez Garcia)
- 55' - SJ - Chris Wondolowski (Shea Salinas)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- WONDO ON THE MARCH: Wondolowski made history with his goal in the game, as he reached 114 goals in his MLS career, matching Ante Razov in fourth place in the all-time scoring chart. With one more goal, he'll move ahead of Razov, with sights on No. 3, Jaime Moreno's 133-goal mark.
- RED BULLS SPORT NEW LOOK: With two games in a week and a cross-country road trip, Red Bulls coach Jesse Marsch opted for a younger lineup, featuring Anatole Abang starting in place of Bradley Wright-Phillips and Tyler Adams making his MLS debut. Shaun Wright-Phillips also got a rare start on the night as well. It may not have made a difference in this particular game, but perhaps this experience will pay off for the squad moving forward this year.
- SCORING STRUGGLES CONTINUE: It's little surprise Marsch opted to change his lineup, but the fact remains that the Red Bulls have been shut out in five of six games this season. Will a trip to Colorado on Saturday make a difference? The Rapids are tied for first in defense with just four goals allowed so far, so it won't be easy for New York.
They Said It
"Great teammates, as you saw tonight."
Chris Wondolowski, San Jose Earthquakes, when asked what the secret of his success in his career has been.
- SJ: Saturday, April 16 at Portland Timbers (10:30 pm ET, MLS LIVE)
- NY: Saturday, April 16 at Colorado Rapids (9 pm ET, MLS LIVE)