Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes | MLS Match Preview
PORTLAND TIMBERS vs. SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
PROVIDENCE PARK, Portland, Oregon
APRIL 16, 2016 (WEEK 7, MLS GAME #63)
10:30 pm ET (MLS LIVE)
Western Conference clubs who have gotten off to opposite starts meet for a second time this year when the Portland Timbers entertain the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday evening at Providence Park. The Timbers are now winless in their last five matches, following their 3-1 defeat by conference leaders FC Dallas at home at midweek. The Quakes sit three points out of the top spot in the division, hitting the road after a 2-0 win against the New York Red Bulls at Avaya Stadium on Wednesday evening.
- Diego Valeri collected an assist for a second consecutive match, his first two assists this season, setting up the Timbers goal in their 1-1 draw Sunday with the LA Galaxy.
- Quincy Amarikwa assisted on both Quakes goals in their 2-2 draw with FC Dallas over the weekend, now with three assists for the season, sitting in second place in the league assist standings (Mauro Diaz of FC Dallas has four). Amarikwa was been involved in four of San Jose’s first seven goals this season.
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Chris Wondolowski and Quincy Amarikwa netted first-half goals to lead the Quakes to a 2-1 win March 13 at Avaya Stadium, their first victory in the series since 2013, snapping a five-game winless streak.
- The Timbers have won four of seven meetings between the teams in Portland, with three draws, including a 1-0 win last July 5 at Providence Park in the only meeting there. The Timbers’ 2-1 victory Oct. 4, 2014 in Santa Clara was the first by a visiting team in the all-time league series.
REFEREE: Chris Penso. AR1 (bench): Corey Parker; AR2 (opposite): Apolinar Mariscal; 4th: Alex Chilowicz
MLS Career: 81 games; FC/gm: 24.0; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 26; pens: 29
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: POR: Alvas Powell, Jermaine Taylor
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (14 meetings): Timbers 5 wins, 20 goals -- Earthquakes 2 wins, 15 goals -- Ties 7
AT PORTLAND (7 meetings): Timbers 4 wins, 12 goals -- Earthquakes 0 wins, 6 goals -- Ties 3
FUTURE MATCH: 6/1: Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes, 7:30 p.m. PT
- Coaches record: Dominic Kinnear vs. POR: P8 W3 L2 D3 -- Caleb Porter vs. SJ: P9 W4 L2 D3