Portland Timbers 3, San Jose Earthquakes 1 | MLS Match Recap
The Portland Timbers were able to recover from Wednesday's disappointment in fine fashion, beating the San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 in front of an appreciative crowd at Providence Park.
Jack McInerney decided to do it all himself to get the Timbers on the board in the second half, and after the Timbers suffered two major second half injuries – Adam Kwarasey leaving with an apparent hand injury; Darren Mattocks, after crashing into a San Jose midfielder – Fanendo Adi came on and made an immediate impact, scoring Portland's second, and eventually third, goal.
- 52' – POR – Jack McInerney
- 65' – POR – Fanendo Adi
- 90' +1' – SJ – Chris Wondolowski (PK)
- 90' +9' – POR – Fanendo Adi (Lucas Melano)
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
- Adi Only Scores Twice: Though it took nine minutes of stoppage time to get there, the old adage held true once again. Adi has 22 goals since the start of the 2015 MLS season, and 31 in his MLS career. Tonight's brace was his 10th.
Man, Melano's got some wheels. #PORvSJ— Matthew Doyle (@MLSAnalyst) April 17, 2016
- Movin' on Up: Wondolowski's PK goal moved him (115 career goals) into sole possession of fourth place on the MLS all-time scoring list, ahead of Ante Razov and behind Jaime Moreno.
They Said It
"I couldn't be more proud of the guys. That was a gut-check."
—Caleb Porter, Portland Timbers Head Coach