HIGHLIGHTS: Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes | April 16, 2016
The Portland Timbers were able to recover from Wednesday's disappointment in fine fashion, beating the San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 in front of an appreciative crowd at Providence Park.
Jack McInerney decided to do it all himself to get the Timbers on the board in the second half. The Portland forward dribbled into the penalty area, then kept the ball alive as San Jose's Kip Colvey applied pressure. He battled through, and one touched his shot past David Bingham and just inside the far post.
The Timbers suffered two major second half injuries, with Adam Kwarasey leaving with an apparent hand injury and Darren Mattocks leaving after crashing into a San Jose midfielder on a turn. Fanendo Adi came on for Mattocks and made an immediate impact, grabbing the ball afterDiego Valeri's shot was blocked, then dribbling around a defender in the penalty area to score Portland's second goal. Jake Gleeson, who hadn't played for Portland since 2011, came in to relieve Kwarasey.
Chris Wondolowski earned a penalty on a San Jose corner kick in stoppage time, as Nat Borchers took hold of his jersey and would not let go. Wondolowski stepped up to take the penalty and converted, adding a bit of late drama. Adi scored again just before the final whistle on a breakaway to finally seal to game.
- SAVE: Kwarasey makes the save0:29
- SAVE: David Bingham goes to ground to stop Mattocks shot0:25
- SAVE: Kwarasey reaction save denies Wondolowski0:51
- SHOT: Amarikwa hits the crossbar0:26
- SHOT: Valeri attempt goes wide0:42
- SAVE: Amarikwa acrobatic shot is saved0:26
- SHOT: Amarikwa shot goes wide0:36
- GOAL: Jack McInerney slots one into the bottom left1:08
- YELLOW CARD: Godoy slide earns card0:47
- GOAL: Adi doubles the lead1:18
- SHOT: McInerney almost nets another0:40
- SHOT: Dawkins shot goes over the bar0:28
- PK FOUL: Borchers foul leads to penalty0:43
- GOAL: Wondolowski scores penalty1:02
- RED CARD: Valeri given red card, and Bingham gets yellow after scuffle1:49
- SAVE: Jack Gleeson punches ball out0:18
- GOAL: Adi nets his second1:12