FC Dallas 2, Sporting Kansas City 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Mauro Rosales came off the bench to lash a beautiful game-winning free kick past Tim Melia as FC Dallas edged Sporting Kansas City 2-1 to run three points clear atop the overall MLS standings on Sunday night.
Rosales' set piece, his first goal in Dallas colors, was a worthy winner in an intense, end-to-end contest at Toyota Stadium, where waves of severe storms had dropped heavy rainfall on the pitch before kickoff.
Sporting took an early lead via Lawrence Olum's point-blank finish of a Benny Feilhaber corner kick in the 22nd minute, though Michael Barrios quickly pegged back the visitors by dispatching an angled strike set up by Maxi Urruti and Kellyn Acosta.
- 22' – SKC – Lawrence Olum (Benny Feilhaber)
- 35' – DAL – Michael Barrios (Maximiliano Urruti, Kellyn Acosta)
- 68' – DAL – Mauro Rosales
- Full box score
- Watch full highlights
1. NOT THAT MAURO, THE OTHER ONE: FCD fans and neutrals alike were dismayed to see Mauro Diaz miss yet another game to what FS1's broadcast team said is a hamstring issue. While there's really no replacing the dynamic playmaker, the veteran Rosales stepped up to do his best "Unicorn" impression with that magical free kick. How about that FCD depth?
2. BIG BRAD KEEPS ON TRUCKIN': Brad Davis marked his 400th career MLS appearance (regular season and playoffs) with a solid shift along the SKC left flank, tormenting Ryan Hollingshead to the point that Oscar Pareja yanked the FCD right back at halftime in favor of Atiba Harris. With tonight's milestone, Davis is in elite company:
3. ALONE AT THE TOP: FCD's victory runs their record to 5-1-2, good for a three-point lead atop both the Supporters' Shield and Western Conference standings. While Dallas have raced out to fast starts before, it's worth noting that this time they've done so with a range of lineups caused by both injury and international absences. Could this be their year?