LA Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake | MLS Match Preview
LA GALAXY vs. REAL SALT LAKE
STUBHUB CENTER, Carson, California
APRIL 23, 2016 (WEEK 8, MLS GAME #71)
10:30 pm ET (MLS LIVE, KMYU, TWCSN-LA)
A marquee match in the Western Conference in the early season is ahead when the LA Galaxy play host to Real Salt Lake on Saturday evening at StubHub Center. The Galaxy return home after extending their current undefeated run to four matches, following a 4-1 rout of the Houston Dynamo last Friday at BBVA Compass Stadium. Real are the only team still undefeated in MLS this season, winning their third match in a row last weekend in a 1-0 defeat of Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Rio Tinto Stadium.
- Giovani dos Santos had the first multiple-goal game of his MLS career, in his 13th league appearance, and also added an assist as the LA Galaxy rolled to a 4-1 win against the Houston Dynamo on Friday evening. The Galaxy are now riding a four-game undefeated streak (2-0-2).
- Real Salt Lake remained undefeated for the season, winning their third consecutive match in their 1-0 defeat of Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday evening at Rio Tinto Stadium. Juan Manuel Martinez scored his first goal of the season, assisted by Joao Plata; Plata now has four goals and four assists for the year, among RSL’s 10 goals scored this season.
- The last three meetings at StubHub Center have all ended in a 1-0 scoreline, the Galaxy winning two, including a victory last May 27 in the only meeting in Carson.
- Real have a four-game undefeated streak at Rio Tinto Stadium alive in the series, winning 3-0 in the last meeting there last Sept. 19.
- The teams have met three times in the last five years in the MLS Cup Playoffs. The Galaxy have advanced on two occasions, including in last year’s Western Conference Semifinals, when they took the series after a 5-0 win in the second leg at StubHub Center. The teams also met in MLS Cup 2009, RSL winning in a penalty shootout.
REFEREE: Edvin Jurisevic. AR1 (bench): Jeff Hosking; AR2 (opposite): Andrew Bigelow; 4th: Alejandro Mariscal
MLS Career: 98 games; FC/gm: 22.9; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 22; pens: 18
SUSPENDED: LA: Nigel de Jong (through May 1)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: LA: Jelle Van Damme, Daniel Steres
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (31 meetings): Galaxy 12 wins, 43 goals … Real 12 wins, 48 goals … Ties 7
AT LA (16 meetings): Galaxy 9 wins, 24 goals … Real 6 wins, 22 goals … Ties 1
RETURN MATCH: 9/7: Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy, 9:30 p.m. MT
Jeff Cassar vs. LA: P6 W2 L2 T2
Bruce Arena vs. RSL: P22 W8 L8 T6