New York City FC 1, Montreal Impact 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
New York City FC were on the brink of picking up their first home win of the season, but Dominic Oduro spoiled the party.
Oduro scored on a close-range header in the 91st minute, and the Montreal Impact grabbed a road point in a 1-1 road draw with New York City FC on Wednesday night. NYCFC were minutes away from picking up three points at Yankee Stadium thanks to a goal from unlikely hero RJ Allen, but conceded a late free kick on the right flank that Didier Drogba sent in and Oduro nodded home.
Allen had buried his first professional goal in the 51st minute, pouncing on a low cross that was not totally cleared and firing a low shot home past Impact goalkeeper Evan Bush. NYCFC were not able to preserve the lead, however, as Oduro's late goal extended the hosts' current winless run to seven games.
- 51' -- NYC -- RJ Allen (Thomas McNamara, Khiry Shelton)
- 90' -- MTL -- Dominic Oduro (Didier Drogba)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR CHANCES: The Impact created few clear chances on the night and only mustered up two shots on goal, but were able to capitalize on their late opportunity to grab a road point.
- SUB SAVES THE DAY: While Oduro rescued a point for Montreal, he did so despite not being on the field for very long. Oduro entered the match in the 63rd minute, replacing Johan Venegas and giving the Impact a speedier option to stretch New York City's defense.
- ATTACKING WOES PERSIST: NYCFC found the back of the net courtesy of their marauding right back, but his goal is just one of three that the club has scored in its last four games.
- NYC: Saturday vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (4 pm ET; TSN in Canada, MLS LIVE in the US)
- MTL: Saturday vs. Colorado Rapids (4 pm ET; RDS in Canada, MLS LIVE in the US)