Orlando City vs. New York Red Bulls | MLS Match Preview
ORLANDO CITY vs. NEW YORK RED BULLS
CAMPING WORLD STADIUM, Orlando, Florida
MAY 6, 2016 (WEEK 10, MLS GAME #86)
7 pm ET (UniMás in US, MLS LIVE in Canada)
A key match in the tight Eastern Conference is featured on Viernes de Fútbol when Orlando City take on the New York Red Bulls at Camping World Stadium. It's the second meeting in three weeks for the clubs after the Red Bulls claimed a 3-2 win April 24 at Red Bull Arena. The teams are separated by just a single point in the middle of the East table. Orlando City saw their winless streak stretched to four games last weekend in a late 2-2 draw at New England, while the Red Bulls won their second game in a row in a 4-0 rout of FC Dallas.
- Carlos Rivas scored the equalizer in the 90th minute, but Orlando City still saw their winless streak extended to four games in a 2-2 draw with the New England Revolution on Saturday evening. It was Orlando City’s fourth goal this season in the 90th minute or later, leading to three draws.
- The Red Bulls won their second match in a row, scoring four goals for the second time this season, in their 4-0 rout of FC Dallas on Friday evening at Red Bull Arena. Lloyd Sam, Felipe Martins and Sacha Kljestan each had a goal and an assist; Kljestan now has four assists over the last three games; he leads MLS with five assists for the season.
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season, and the second time in three weeks. Bradley Wright-Phillips hit for a pair of goals in a three-goal Red Bulls burst in 11 minutes in the second half as they took a 3-2 win April 24 in Harrison.
- The teams split their two meetings a year ago in Orlando City’s first MLS season, the road team winning on each occasion. The Red Bulls claimed a 2-0 victory on July 18 at the Citrus Bowl, then Orlando City turned the tables in a 5-2 triumph Sept. 25 at Red Bull Arena.
REFEREE: Ted Unkel. AR1 (bench): Sean Hurd; AR2 (opposite): Jose da Silva; 4th: Younes Marrakchi
Unkel MLS Career: 36 games; FC/gm: 25.7; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 12; pens: 22
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: ORL: Seb Hines, Cristian Higuita
DISABLED LIST: NY: Damien Perrinelle
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (3 meetings): Orlando City 1 win, 7 goals -- Red Bulls 2 wins, 7 goals -- Ties 0
AT ORLANDO (1 meeting): Orlando City 0 wins, 0 goals -- Red Bulls 1 wins, 2 goals -- Ties 0
FUTURE MATCH: 7/13: New York Red Bulls vs. Orlando City, 7:30 p.m. ET
- Coaches' records: Jesse Marsch vs. ORL: P3 W2 L1 T0 -- Adrian Heath vs. NY: P3 W1 L2 T0
4/24: NY 3, ORL 2 (Grella 65; B. Wright-Phillips 69, 75 - Larin 3; own goal 84)
- Orlando City took the lead after just the third minute. Rafael Ramos connected with Cyle Larin in the area, who flicked in the opener for the early lead.
- The Red Bulls struck back in the 65th minute when Sacha Kljestan fed Mike Grella at the back post, and he kept his composure before coolly curling a shot into the far corner of the goal.
- Four minutes later, the Red Bulls took the lead when Grella floated a cross to the back post where Bradley Wright-Phillips stabbed the ball into the back of the net with his right foot.
- The Red Bulls then doubled their lead in the 75th minute when Lloyd Sam centered a low-driven cross from the right flank where Wright-Phillips tapped in from top of the six-yard box.
- Orlando City pulled one a goal back in the 84th minute when Karl Ouimette saw a deflection from a corner kick bounce off his body into his own goal, but the Red Bulls hung on for the win.
- NEW YORK RED BULLS (4-2-3-1): Luis Robles - Sal Zizzo (Chris Duvall 89), Karl Ouimette, Ronald Zubar, Kemar Lawrence - Felipe Martins, Dax McCarty (Sean Davis 80) - Lloyd Sam (Alex Muyl 86), Sacha Kljestan, Mike Grella - Bradley Wright-Phillips.
- ORLANDO CITY (4-4-2): Joseph Bendik - Rafael Ramos, Tommy Redding, Seb Hines, Brek Shea - Adrian Winter (Hadji Barry 77), Darwin Ceren, Cristian Higuita, Kevin Molino - Julio Baptista (Carlos Rivas 64), Cyle Larin.