Houston Dynamo 2, Sporting Kansas City 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Houston Dynamo snapped a six-game winless streak on Saturday night, as they defeated Sporting Kansas City 2-0 at BBVA Compass Stadium.
Houston then doubled the lead in first-half stoppage time, when Barnes sent a pass to Cristian Maidana from the left flank, who launched a deceptively short cross to Andrew Wenger. Wenger made a move with the ball and sent a laser past Sporting goalkeeper Tim Melia.
- 30' – HOU – Giles Barnes (Erick Torres)
- 45'+1' – HOU – Andrew Wenger (Cristian Maidana, Giles Barnes)
- Full box score
- Watch Highlights
- SLUMP BUSTED: The Dynamo grabbed a much-needed win, their second of the season, with the result. They remain at the bottom of the Western Conference, but they're within touching distance of the rest of the pack. And with contributions coming from Maidana and Torres (making his first start of the season), Dynamo head coach Owen Coyle may have some productive depth at his disposal, if they can really kick on.
- OUT OF SORTS: Brad Davis may have made his first return to Houston since moving up to Kansas City in the offseason, but Sporting had little to cheer about on the night. Their own winless streak now runs to six games, and although they controlled possession and took 17 shots on the night, only three were on target and they looked out of sorts. The quick turnaround, with another game on Wednesday, could be a blessing or a curse for a sputtering KC side.
- POIGNANT TRIBUTE: On the night Houston honored supporter Leo Ponce, who passed away recently, Barnes made sure to acknowledge the beloved fan in his goal celebration: