DC United vs. New York City FC | MLS Match Preview
D.C. UNITED vs. NEW YORK CITY FC
RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C.
MAY 8, 2016 (WEEK 10, MLS GAME #96)
7:30 pm ET (FS1, MLS LIVE)
It's a meeting of two teams level in the tight logjam of the Eastern Conference standings when D.C. United entertain New York City FC for a first time this season on Sunday afternoon at RFK Stadium before an FS1 audience. The two clubs are level on 10 points, in a four-way tie right in the middle of the conference table. United return home off of a 1-1 draw with the Chicago Fire last weekend at Toyota Park, while NYCFC put an end to a seven-game winless run last time out, a 3-2 home win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
- D.C. United ground out their third consecutive draw away from RFK Stadium, reaching a 1-1 result with the Chicago Fire on Saturday afternoon at Toyota Park. Luciano Acosta collected his third assist of the season; he has a goal and three assists over the last four games.
- New York City FC snapped their seven-game winless run, winning for the first time since the season opener and winning for the first time this season at Yankee Stadium, coming back for a 3-2 victory against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday afternoon.
- David Villa netted a pair of goals vs. Vancouver, already his third two-goal this season, also hitting for a brace March 13 vs. Toronto FC and April 16 vs. Columbus. It was Villa’s seventh multiple-goal game in his MLS career, in 39 career league appearances. Villa has scored six of NYCFC’s last nine goals.
REFEREE: Allen Chapman. AR1 (bench): Jason White; AR2 (opposite): Daniel Belleau; 4th: Rubiel Vazquez
MLS Career: 74 games; FC/gm: 23.5; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 17; pens: 30
SUSPENDED: DC: Chris Rolfe (through May 8)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: DC: Sean Franklin -- NYC: Federico Bravo, Mikey Lopez
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: none
DISABLED LIST: DC: Bill Hamid
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (2 meetings): United 1 win, 3 goals -- NYCFC 1 win, 4 goals -- Ties 0
AT RFK STADIUM (1 meeting): United 1 win, 2 goals -- NYCFC 0 wins, 1 goal -- Ties 0
RETURN MATCHES: 9/1: New York City FC vs. D.C. United, 7 p.m. ET; 10/16: D.C. United vs. New York City FC, 5 p.m. ET
LAST YEAR (MLS):
8/13: NYC 3, DC 1 (McNamara 51; Villa 80; Poku 88 - Saborio 36)
10/2: DC 2, NYC 1 (Espindola 73; Saborio 92+ -- Lampard 1)
- The teams met twice in New York City FC's inaugural MLS season, each winning on their home ground. NYCFC won 3-1 on Aug. 13 at Yankee Stadium, and United won 2-1 on Oct. 2 at RFK Stadium.
- Coaches record: Patrick Vieira vs. DC: first game -- Ben Olsen vs. NYC: P2 W1 L1 D0