DC United 0, New York City FC 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
After a first half largely devoid of scoring chances, NYCFC found an opening just four minutes after halftime as Villa's low shot via good work from Shelton and Tommy McNamara beat D.C. 'keeper Travis Worra. Four minutes later, Shelton followed that up by soaring to redirect the ball inside the far post.
- 49’ – NYC – David Villa (Tommy McNamara, Khiry Shelton)
- 53’ – NYC – Khiry Shelton (Ronald Matarrita)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
1. GOLDEN TOUCH: Villa didn't get much service, but he did exactly what he needed to when he got a look: Grip it and rip it. The Spaniard's goal was his seventh of the season, tying him atop the MLS goalscoring leaderboard with Chris Wondolowski and Fanendo Adi.
2. TOMMY GUN: Villa's the star, but McNamara's the straw that stirs the drink. He got the assist on Villa's goal, and it was his off-the-ball work and hustle that kept the play alive for Shelton's coup de grace.
Once again, Tommy McNamara keeps the play alive. #DCU with the poor clearance, Mata winds up with it. He crosses to Shelton, who skies up.— Hudson River Blue (@hudsonriverblue) May 9, 2016
3. BUGGIN' OUT: Nyarko's illness played a key role, as United weren't able to exploit the space left behind by NYCFC's overlapping fullbacks. They ended up failing to generate a single shot on goal in what was a dispiriting result.
- DC: Friday vs. New York Red Bulls (7 pm ET, UniMas)
- NYC: Sunday at Portland (7:30 pm ET, FS1)