New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls | MLS Match Preview
YANKEE STADIUM, Bronx, New York
May 21, 2016 (WEEK 12, MLS Game #121)
3 pm ET (FOX)
- Both clubs are coming off Wednesday midweek matches: the Red Bulls defeated the Chicago Fire at home on a Mike Grella strike, while NYCFC wrapped up a two-game road trip with a tie at Toronto FC, a match in which they rested several starters ahead of the New York derby.
- The teams met three times in 2015, the first year for NYCFC in Major League Soccer, and the Red Bulls won all three.
- Red Bulls striker Bradley Wright-Phillips owned the rivalry, scoring in each match, netting four goals in all. He scored both goals in the first meeting between the teams on May 10 at Red Bull Arena, a 2-1 Red Bulls win, then scored in the only meeting between the clubs at Yankee Stadium, a 3-1 win on June 28. Wright-Phillips scored the opening goal in the Red Bulls’ 2-0 win Aug. 9 in Harrison.
REFEREE: Chris Penso; AR1 (bench): Chris Strickland; AR2 (opposite): Eric Weisbrod, 4th: Mark Kadlecik
Penso's MLS Career: 84 games; Fouls called per game: 24.0; Yellow cards per game: 3.5; Red cards: 28; Penalty kicks: 30
Everything you need to know about #NYC-NY on May 21:
- MLS Now: How NYCFC rose to the top of the East
- Alexi Lalas: NYCFC vs. Red Bulls is MLS's best rivalry
- After father's tragic accident, RBNY's Gonzalo Veron eyes fresh start
- Gotham to Ghana: NYCFC's Poku & RBNY's Sam retrace family roots in Ghana
- ExtraTime Radio: Listen to Patrick Vieira, Jesse Marsch, Mix Diskerud and Mike Grella
- Armchair Analyst Q&A: No Lampard dilemma yet for NYCFC
- RBNY’s Alex Muyl repping Lower East Side in New York derby
- Rivalry Matrix: NYCFC vs. New York Red Bulls in graphic form
- Is New York red or blue? Fans of both teams speak out
- Men in Blazers: Dax McCarty reminds NYCFC who rules New York
- Forget DC: RBNY say NYCFC are their biggest rivals
- MLS Now: Wine with Pirlo; Remember Grella’s 'meg on Lampard?
- Can the Red Bulls stop David Villa again?
- How have NYCFC turned things around? Villa, Pirlo explain
- Snapshot of NYCFC vs. New York Red Bulls rivalry
- New York Red Bulls gaining momentum at right time
- NYCFC: Saturday's derby is not just another game
- Armchair Analyst: Will NYCFC finally paint the town blue?
- Vieira: Big chance that Frank Lampard will be in 18-man roster
- Can Human Foosball settle the New York vs. New York rivalry?
- Khiry Shelton's Spotify warm-up mix
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: NYC -- Mikey Lopez
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: NYC -- Federico Bravo … NYR -- Mike Grella, Ronald Zubar
DISABLED LIST: NYR -- Damian Perrinelle
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (3 meetings) -- NYCFC: 0 wins, 2 goals … Red Bulls: 3 wins, 7 goals … Ties: 0
AT YANKEE STADIUM (1 meeting) -- NYCFC: 0 wins, 1 goal … Red Bulls: 1 win, 3 goals … Ties: 0
7/3: New York City FC vs. New York Red Bulls, 12 p.m. ET (ESPN1);
7/24: New York Red Bulls vs. New York City FC, 1 p.m. ET (FOX)
LAST YEAR (MLS):
5/10: NYR 2, NYC 1 (B. Wright-Phillips 4, 52 – Mullins 76)
6/28: NYC 1, NYR 3 (McNamara 6 – B. Wright-Phillips 47; Duvall 52; Miazga 73)
8/9: NYR 2, NYC 0 (B. Wright-Phillips 21; Martins 85)
COACHES RECORDS -- Jesse Marsch vs. NYC: P3 W3 L0 T0 … Patrick Vieira vs. NYR: first game