FC Dallas vs. Houston Dynamo | MLS Match Preview
FC DALLAS vs. HOUSTON DYNAMO
TOYOTA STADIUM, Frisco, Texas
June 2, 2016 (Week 14, MLS Game #139)
9 pm ET (TWCSC-TX, ROOT Sports SW, MLS LIVE)
The Texas Derby is renewed for a second time this season when FC Dallas take on the Houston Dynamo on Thursday evening at Toyota Stadium. The teams enter the match at opposite ends of the Western Conference table. FC Dallas return home after extending their undefeated streak to four games, coming away from the San Jose Earthquakes with a scoreless draw last weekend. The Dynamo remained winless on the road this season, starting their trip with a 1-1 draw at Vancouver Whitecaps FC. When the teams met in March, the Dynamo claimed an historic 5-0 win in Houston.
REFEREE: Kevin Stott. AR1 (bench): Ian Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Jeffrey Greeson; 4th: Fotis Bazakos
MLS Career: 282 games; FC/gm: 25.4; Y/gm: 3.2; R: 70; pens: 73
SUSPENDED: HOU: Alex (through June 2)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: DAL: Walker Zimmerman
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: DAL: Maynor Figueroa … HOU: Alex, Jalil Anibaba
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: DAL: Carlos Gruezo (Ecuador; Copa America); Tesho Akindele (Canada; vs. Azerbaijan 6/3); Atiba Harris (St. Kitts and Nevis; CFU Caribbean Cup) … HOU: Giles Barnes (Jamaica; Copa America)
ALL-TIME (25 meetings): FC Dallas 8 wins, 36 goals … Dynamo 10 wins, 38 goals … Ties 7
AT DALLAS (12 meetings): FC Dallas 5 wins, 16 goals … Dynamo 3 wins, 14 goals … Ties 4
FUTURE MATCH: 8/27: Houston Dynamo vs. FC Dallas, 8 p.m. CT
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Andrew Wenger scored one goal and set up two others as the Dynamo rolled to a 5-0 victory March 12 at BBVA Compass Stadium, the most goals scored by a team and the largest margin of victory in the Texas Derby.
- The first meeting victory snapped a five-game FC Dallas winning streak in the series, over the last three seasons. FCD had won the previous two meetings at BBVA Compass Stadium, just their second and third wins all-time in Houston in 14 meetings in all competitions, the first since 2010.
- FCD has won three games in a row in Frisco, the last Dynamo victory there coming in 2011.
- The clubs play for “El Capitán”, the 19th-century Mountain Howitzer cannon to be awarded to the winner of the season series by supporters groups for both clubs. Last year was the first season since 2011 the teams met more than once in the regular season, with both back in the Western Conference.
- Coaches record: Wade Barrett vs. DAL: first game … Oscar Pareja vs. HOU: P7 W5 L1 T1
LAST MEETING (MLS):
3/12: HOU 5, DAL 0 (Horst 6; own goal 13; Clark 23; Wenger 27; Bruin 85)
- The Dynamo were ahead after just the sixth minute when Andrew Wenger served in a cross that was headed home from close range by defender David Horst. It was 2-0 in the 13th minute when FCD defender Matt Hedges sent the ball into his own goal following a miscommunication with goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez.
- Houston went up 3-0 in the 23rd minute as Ricardo Clark latched on to a feed from Wenger at the top of the box and smashed in a low, driven shot past Gonzalez. It was 4-0 just four minutes after a clearance attempt fell into the path of Wenger, who easily tapped home from close range.
- The rout was complete in the 85th minute as Will Bruin rounded Gonzalez and finished from a tight angle.
- HOUSTON DYNAMO (4-2-3-1): Joe Willis - Jalil Anibaba, David Horst, Raul Rodriguez, DaMarcus Beasley - Ricardo Clark (David Rocha 77), Alex - Andrew Wenger, Cristian Maidana (Leonel Miranda 44), Giles Barnes (Boniek Garcia 19) - Will Bruin
- FC DALLAS (4-2-3-1): Jesse Gonzalez - Atiba Harris (Ryan Hollingshead 46), Matt Hedges, Walker Zimmerman, Maynor Figueroa - Carlos Gruezo (Victor Ulloa 63), Kellyn Acosta - Michael Barrios, Mauro Diaz, Fabian Castillo (Tesho Akindele 59) - Maximiliano Urruti.