USA 1, Paraguay 0 | Copa America Centenario Match Recap
The US national team is through.
Clint Dempsey scored his 51st goal for the Red, White & Blue in the 27th minute, sending the US on to the quarterfinals of the Copa America Centenario. Their next opponent – either Ecuador, Peru or Brazil – is still to be determined, though the location is set for Seattle's CenturyLink Field on Thursday (9:30pm ET | FS1, UniMás, UDN).
Midway through the opening half, after taking a pass from Michael Bradley, LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes waited out a pair of defenders to play a low cross toward the middle of the box. Dempsey met it full force, squirting a left-footed shot beneath diving Paraguay goalkeeper Justo Villar.
The second half barely opened before DeAndre Yedlin managed to pick up a pair of yellow cards in the span of two minutes (47th and 48th minutes), leaving the Yanks down a man for more than 40 minutes. Klinsmann quickly subbed Dempsey out for defender Michael Orozco to provide stronger defense in the formation, and the US proved able to maintain the result.
John Brooks played a stellar game in central defense, including a goal-saving tackle in the 11th minute, and Brad Guzan's scrambling double-save in the 82nd minute helped seal the victory.
- JOHN JACOB JINGLEHEIMER BROOKS: US center back John Brooks likely inspired a legion of social media followers into joyous exclamations with this spectacular, goal-saving 1-vs-3 takeaway:
- GUZAN'S GLOVEWORK: Named No.1 with no compunction by Klinsmann heading into the tournament, Brad Guzan has done impressive work for the US, perhaps nothing better than this sprawling double-save special:
- YEDLIN'S YELLOWS: The stunning, single-minute ejection of the starting right back left the US shorthanded, and after a breakthrough season at Sunderland, Yedlin knows better than to make this second attempt: in more than 80 years – Klinsmann will have to adjust the starting XI. For what it's worth, Michael Orozco was the first defensive sub.
They Said It
- USA: Opponent TBD (B2) on Thursday, June 16 | 9:30pm ET | FS1, UniMás, UDN
- PAR: ELIMINATED from Copa America