Houston Dynamo 0, DC United 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Talk about a stalemate.
The Houston Dynamo and D.C United returned from the brief summer break in MLS and played to a scoreless draw at BBVA Compass Stadium on Wednesday night. The two sides combined for seven shots on goal, but neither was able to find the breakthrough.
The Dynamo came closest to finding the winner in a match that had a weather delay prior to kickoff. Mauro Manotas was denied of a winner by a spectacular save from Bill Hamid in the final seconds, and Will Bruin saw a low effort smack the near post five minutes after halftime.
Neither team had a shot on goal in the first half.
Ultimately, the two clubs' inability to muster up enough quality in the final third led to them splitting the points. Houston are now 3-7-5 and still in last place in the Western Conference. D.C. stand at 4-6-5 and in seventh place of the east.
- HAMID HUGE LATE: Bill Hamid finished the match with four saves, and his last two were the biggest ones. Hamid ensured that D.C. United ended the night with a result on the road, first by denying Mauro Manotas' effort with an incredible save and then by blocking a close-range Raul Rodriguez header on the ensuing corner kick.
- IMPROVEMENTS AFTER HALFTIME: After a very tight first half, both sides came out a little bit sharper and more inventive in the attack. The game opened up slightly because of that, and a combined seven shots were put on frame in the closing 45 minutes. The Dynamo were the better of the two clubs, however, as they came closest to finding a decisive goal on multiple occasions.
- UNITED'S ANEMIC ATTACK: D.C. United's scoring woes continue. The club was shut out in both of its games this week after losing in penalty kicks to the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers in US Open Cup play, and has failed to find the back of the net in its last three games across all competitions and five of the last seven dating back to early May.
- HOU: 6/26 @ Portland Timbers (6 pm ET, ESPN2)
- DC: 6/25 vs. New England Revolution (7 pm ET, MLS LIVE)