Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1, New England Revolution 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
After advancing in the US Open Cup on Wednesday night, the New England Revolution returned to MLS play against Vancouver Whitecaps FC after traveling across the country. The trip proved fruitful as the Revs took home all three points thanks to a 2-1 win.
London Woodberry opened proceedings with a strong header off of a Lee Nguyen free kick that put the Revs up in the 31st minute. Nicolas Mezquida leveled the game just 10 minutes later thanks to a beautiful free kick after Woodberry handled the ball right outside the box.
- 31' - NE - London Woodberry (Lee Nguyen)
- 41' - VAN - Nicolas Mezquida
- 55' - NE - Kelyn Rowe (Teal Bunbury)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- FINALLY: The Revs were far from the only to not collect a road win so far in 2016, but that doesn't make this win any less sweeter. Especially since the win comes all the way across the country and after playing in Carolina on Wednesday night.
- WASTEFUL CAPS: The Whitecaps had plenty of chances throughout the game, taking 17 shots to the Revs' 8, but were unable to score outside of a free kick. Kekuta Manneh was particularly active, taking four shots, but he was unable to break through despite many runs inside of the box.
- SHINING KNIGHTON: Brad Knighton hasn't gotten a start since last July 25 but Jay Heaps turned to him again after a sterling performance against Carolina in which he made five saves. Knighton came up big when he needed to against his former team, making four saves.
- VAN: Saturday at Philadelphia Union (7 pm ET, TSN/MLS LIVE)
- NE: Saturday at D.C. United (7 pm ET, MLS LIVE)