San Jose Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy | MLS Match Preview
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. LA GALAXY
STANFORD STADIUM, San Jose, Calif.
Heineken Rivalry Edición Especial
June 25, 2016 (Week 16, MLS Game #160)
10 pm ET (Univision in USA; MLS LIVE in Canada)
Coverage follows Copa America medal ceremony
It's become a summer tradition: The San Jose Earthquakes hosting their California Clasico rivals LA Galaxy in front of a capacity crowd at Stanford Stadium. Except this one will be even a bit more special.
For the first time since 1999, an MLS match will air on the Univision flagship. The Cali Clasico match, a Heineken Rivalry Edición Especial, will be broadcast at 10 pm ET, immediately following the USA vs. Colombia Copa America 3rd-place match (8 pm ET).
There's currently only one point separating the two teams in the Western Conference standings after 15 matches and it's worth noting that the Galaxy have won just once in the last 12 regular season meetings in northern California.
The Earthquakes are coming off a 2-2 draw in Orlando last weekend, while the LA Galaxy played midweek at home, where they were held to a 0-0 Wednesday night draw against the league-leading Colorado Rapids.
The teams are meeting for a third time this season, the first two both happened at StubHub Center. Gyasi Zardes scored a pair of goals to lead the Galaxy to a 3-1 win March 19 and the teams played to a 1-1 draw on May 22.
Here's everything you need to know ahead of Saturday's match:
- How the Stanford summer Clasico became a soccer tradition;
- Listen to some California Clasico stories, courtesy of Alan Gordon on ExtraTime Radio;
- Not familiar with the Cali Clasico? Here's a quick snapshot of the history of the rivalry;
- If you're going to be at Stanford Stadium, here's your Fan Guide;
- Armchair Analyst: Steven Gerrard needs to step it up for LA
- The story of San Jose's Quincy Amarikwa, who has a lot more going on than just soccer;
- How the San Jose Earthquakes got their name;
- Bruce Arena's Galaxy are struggling to find answers for their attacking woes;
- San Jose's Chad Barrett relishing the chance to face his former team;
- The list of players who have seen both sides of the California Clasico;
- WATCH: TBT -- David Beckham's greatest California Clasico moments;
- LA's Robbie Rogers forced to miss the match due to injury;
- San Jose's Shea Salinas signed to a new multi-year contract.
REFEREE: Kevin Stott. AR1 (bench): Chris Strickland; AR2 (opposite): Kathryn Nesbitt; 4th: Alex Chilowicz
MLS Career: 283 games; FC/gm: 25.4; Y/gm: 3.2; R: 70; pens: 73
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: SJ: Anibal Godoy, Fatai Alashe -- LA: Daniel Steres, Jelle Van Damme
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: LA: A.J. DeLaGarza
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: SJ: Chris Wondolowski (USA; Copa America) -- LA: Gyasi Zardes (USA; Copa America); Robbie Keane (Ireland; Euro 2016)
ALL-TIME (62 meetings): Earthquakes 20 wins (1 shootout), 83 goals -- Galaxy 29 wins (4 shootout), 99 goals -- Ties 13
AT SAN JOSE (32 meetings): Earthquakes 15 wins (1 shootout), 47 goals -- Galaxy 10 wins (2 shootout), 40 goals -- Ties 7