San Jose Earthquakes 1, LA Galaxy 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Goonies never say die.
It was the refrain for the San Jose Earthquakes during their Supporters' Shield winning season back in 2012, and some of that magic returned Saturday during their Cali Clasico against the LA Galaxy in an MLS Heineken Rivalry Edición Especial. San Jose Earthquakes forward Chad Barrett sent more than 50,000 fans at Stanford Stadium into delirium with a 90th-minute equalizer as the two rivals finished tied 1-1.
One of the heroes during that 2012 season, Shea Salinas, sent in the free kick that found its way to a leaping Barrett in the box. The former LA Galaxy striker headed it home after seeing two of his earlier shots hit the crossbar.
Giovani dos Santos scored the opener for visiting LA, providing a goal off his head after Steven Gerrard sent in a beautiful cross from the right wing. The Mexican international now has seven goals this season to pace the five-time MLS Cup champions.
- 69' - LA - Giovani dos Santos (Steven Gerrard)
- 90' - SJ - Chad Barrett (Shea Salinas)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- ANOTHER CHAPTER: The San Jose Earthquakes and LA Galaxy have played many famous games over the last five years. Most of those included a late winner or equalizer from a bruising target forward. The type of player was a bit different on Saturday night, but the outcome was the same as Barrett played hero for the Quakes, helping them ensure another result against a struggling Galaxy side. It's worth noting that Barrett did not even start the game, but was forced to come on in the 9th minute after an injury to center back Victor Bernardez.
- DROUGHT ENDS: Even without players like Robbie Keane and Gyasi Zardes due to international duty, it's been surprising to see the Galaxy go three league games without scoring. On Saturday night, LA turned to their stars, Dos Santos and Gerrard, to end that drought and they hooked up on a classy goal to give their team a late lead. Dos Santos was dangerous all night, taking three shots and creating three chances. Despite his efforts, the Galaxy's winless run in the league has now hit seven matches.
- WILD FINISH: After a first half in which the Quakes outshot the Galaxy 12-1, both teams came out with a bit more fire in the second half as they combined for a total of 21 shots in the second half. Things got particularly crazy after Dos Santos' goal as Barrett and Co. peppered Brian Rowe's goal with eight shots.
- SJ: Friday at Chicago Fire (8 pm ET, UniMás)
- LA: Wednesday, June 29 at Portland Timbers (US Open Cup, 10:30 pm ET) + Monday, July 4 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (10:30 pm ET on TSN1, RDS2 and MLS LIVE)