Portland Timbers vs. Houston Dynamo | 2016 MLS Match Preview
PROVIDENCE PARK, Portland, Oregon
June 26, 2016 (WEEK 16, MLS GAME #161)
6 pm ET (ESPN2, MLS LIVE)
Two clubs looking to haul themselves back into playoff positioning in the Western Conference meet for the first time this season in a critical match when the Portland Timbers play host to the Houston Dynamo on Sunday afternoon before an ESPN audience. The Timbers sit in eighth place in the conference, a point below the red line, their undefeated streak at four games following a 2-2 draw at Real Salt Lake last weekend. The Dynamo are a further six points back, at the foot of the division following a third consecutive draw in a scoreless result last Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium.
- Fanendo Adi scored his ninth goal of the season -- putting him now in second place in the MLS Golden Boot Standings – as the Timbers reached a 2-2 draw at Real Salt Lake on Saturday evening.
- The Dynamo reached a third consecutive draw since Wade Barrett has taken the coaching reins, playing to a scoreless result with D.C. United on Saturday evening at BBVA Compass Stadium.
- The teams evenly split their three meetings a year ago. The Dynamo won 3-1 on May 16 at BBVA Compass Stadium and the Timbers won 2-0 on June 20 at Providence Park. The teams also reached a 2-2 draw Aug. 21 in Portland.
- The Timbers have won twice in eight meetings all-time in the series, winning two of the last three meetings at Providence Park. The Dynamo have won two of the four meetings all-time in Houston, with two draws.
REFEREE: Hilario Grajeda. AR1 (bench): James Conlee; AR2 (opposite): Anthony Vasoli; 4th: Baboucarr Jallow
MLS Career: 129 games; FC/gm: 24.0; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 22; pens: 21
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: POR: Alvas Powell, Diego Chara -- HOU: Alex, Jalil Anibaba
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: POR: Darlington Nagbe (USA; Copa America)
ALL-TIME (8 meetings): Timbers 2 wins, 9 goals -- Dynamo 3 wins, 10 goals -- Ties 3
AT PORTLAND (4 meetings): Timbers 2 wins, 6 goals -- Dynamo 1 win, 4 goals -- Ties 1
RETURN MATCH: 9/24: Houston Dynamo vs. Portland Timbers, 7:30 p.m. CT
LAST YEAR [MLS]
5/16: HOU 3, POR 1 (Bruin 9, 83; Barnes 75 - Adi 48)
6/20: POR 2, HOU 0 (Urruti 34; Fernandez 61)
8/21: POR 2, HOU 2 (Nagbe 76; Melano 86 - Garcia 40; Bruin 45)
- Coaches record: Caleb Porter vs. HOU: P5 W2 L1 D2 -- Wade Barrett vs. POR: first game