Real Salt Lake 1, DC United 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Substitute Jared Jeffrey scored in second-half stoppage time to give D.C. United a share of the points in a 1-1 draw against Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Friday.
Martinez scored a terrific goal on an individual effort just before the hour mark, receiving a pass from Yura Movsisyan and dribbling between two defenders in the box before coolly chipping D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
RSL controlled the run of play throughout, with Movsisyan and Joao Plata looking especially lively, but Hamid made a series of saves to keep his side in the game.
But Hamid's efforts would not be in vain, as Jeffrey's tally gave D.C. an unexpected result.
- 57' - RSL - Juan Manuel Martinez (Yura Movsisyan)
- 92' - DC - Jared Jeffrey (Fabian Espindola)
- Full box score
- Watch Highlights
- CREDIT TO HAMID: There's no way D.C. United would have even been remotely close to getting a draw if it wasn't for the efforts of Hamid. The 'keeper made seven saves, several of the spectacular variety, and did all he could to keep the visitors in a position to get something from the game. Despite being beaten by Martinez, Hamid had a monster night.
- HEAVY LEGS? For 91 minutes, RSL coach Jeff Cassar's plan to play most of the first-team regulars who also featured in RSL's U.S. Open Cup loss on PKs Tuesday to Seattle paid off. But the momentary lapse against D.C. cost his team points, and after playing a reserve-heavy lineup last weekend in league action to prepare for this big week (a game they lost), the results didn't go his team's way. It's obviously easy to look back in hindsight, but RSL are probably pretty disappointed by how the last three games have gone.
- GOLAZO! Martinez has built up a reputation as both someone who can match anyone in MLS for fancy footwork as well as someone who can produce tangible results. His goal on Friday combined those parts of his game to perfection. It was a beauty to behold.