Colorado Rapids vs. Portland Timbers | 2016 MLS Match Preview
DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PARK, Commerce City, Colorado
July 4, 2016 (Week 17, MLS Game #169)
9 pm ET (MLS LIVE, Altitude, ROOT Sports NW)
An intriguing match in the Western Conference kicks off when the Colorado Rapids host their annual Fourth of July extravaganza, meeting the Portland Timbers on Monday evening at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The West-leading Rapids are riding an 11-game undefeated streak in league play, returning home following a scoreless draw at the LA Galaxy last weekend, though they were dumped out of the U.S. Open Cup by FC Dallas at midweek. The Timbers have moved above the red line thanks to a five-game undefeated run, coming back for a 3-2 win over the Houston Dynamo last Sunday at Providence Park, though they were bounced from the Open Cup at home at midweek by the LA Galaxy.
- The Rapids return to action after a weekend off, extending their club-record undefeated streak to 11 games in their last match, a scoreless draw at the LA Galaxy on June 22. The Rapids last defeat came April 9, at Real Salt Lake; they are 7-0-4 over the current run.
- Diego Valeri set up one goal then converted two penalty kicks over the final eight minutes plus stoppage time, as the Timbers came back for a 3-2 win against the Houston Dynamo on Sunday afternoon. It was the Timbers’ third consecutive win at Providence Park, extending their overall undefeated run to five games.
- The Timbers have a four-game undefeated streak alive in the series, including wins in both meetings a year ago, once at each ground, a 2-1 win May 30 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, and a 4-1 win Oct. 25 at Providence Park.
- The visiting team has won just twice in the all-time series, the Rapids winning in Portland on June 11, 2011 before last year’s Timbers win in Commerce City. The Timbers have a five-game home winning streak alive vs. Colorado.
REFEREE: Ricardo Salazar. AR1 (bench): Mike Kampmeinert; AR2 (opposite): Cameron Blanchard; 4th: Daniel Radford
MLS Career: 219 games; FC/gm: 26.6; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 62; pens: 74
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: COL: Axel Sjoberg
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: COL: Mekeil Williams, Jermaine Jones, Shkelzen Gashi … POR: Alvas Powell, Diego Chara
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (13 meetings): Rapids 5 wins, 19 goals … Timbers 6 wins, 18 goals … Ties 2
AT COLORADO (7 meetings): Rapids 4 wins, 16 goals … Timbers 1 win, 7 goals … Ties 2
RETURN MATCHES: 10/1: Colorado Rapids vs. Portland Timbers, 7 p.m. MT; 10/16: Portland Timbers vs. Colorado Rapids, 4 p.m. PT
LAST YEAR [MLS]
5/30: COL 1, POR 2 (Cronin 89 – Fernandez 38; Jewsbury 93+)
10/25: POR 4, COL 1 (POR: Nagbe 5, 33; Villafana 63; Adi 88 – Badji 13)
• Coaches record: Caleb Porter vs. COL: P8 W5 L1 D2 … Pablo Mastroeni vs. POR: P5 W1 L3 D1