Seattle Sounders vs. LA Galaxy | 2016 MLS Match Preview
SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC vs. LA GALAXY
CenturyLink Field • Seattle, Washington
July 9, 2016 • Week 18 • MLS Game #175
3 pm ET (ESPN, MLS LIVE in Canada)
One of the marquee matches of the MLS calendar is ahead as the two coaching deans of MLS face off when Sigi Schmid and his Seattle Sounders FC take on Bruce Arena and the LA Galaxy on Saturday afternoon at CenturyLink Field before an ESPN audience. Sounders FC enter the match seven points out of playoff position, in ninth place in the Western Conference, now winless in three games following their 1-1 draw at Toronto FC last Saturday. The Galaxy put an end to a seven-game winless streak in their last outing, sitting in fourth place in the division following a 2-0 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Monday evening.
- Jordan Morris scored the sixth league goal of his rookie season, as Sounders FC answered back-to-back losses with a 1-1 draw at Toronto FC on Saturday evening. Sounders FC have one win in their last seven MLS games.
- In his return to the Galaxy lineup after missing five games to international duty, Robbie Keane netted his fifth goal of the season in his club’s 2-0 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Monday evening at StubHub Center. Steven Gerrard assisted on both LA goals, now with seven assists for the season.
- The teams met three times a season ago in league play, the Galaxy winning two, both matches at StubHub Center, a 1-0 win April 12 and a 3-1 win Aug. 9. The teams reached a 1-1 draw Oct. 4 at CenturyLink Field.
- Sounders FC have not won at the Galaxy since 2009, now 11 trips in league and MLS Cup play without a win.
- The teams also met in the Knockout Round in the MLS Cup Playoffs last year, Sounders FC winning 3-2 at CenturyLink Field. The teams have met four times in the last six seasons in the MLS Cup Playoffs; last year’s victory was the first time Sounders FC have advanced.
REFEREE: Baldomero Toledo. AR1 (bench): Jeremy Hanson; AR2 (opposite): Eduardo Mariscal; 4th: Baboucarr Jallow
MLS Career: 214 games; FC/gm: 24.9; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 73; pens: 76
SUSPENDED: LA: Nigel de Jong (through July 10)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: SEA: Osvaldo Alonso … LA: Daniel Steres
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: LA: A.J. DeLaGarza
DISABLED LIST: SEA: Roman Torres
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (18 meetings): Sounders FC 4 wins, 18 goals … Galaxy 8 wins, 26 goals … Ties 6
AT SEATTLE (9 meetings): Sounders FC 3 wins, 11 goals … Galaxy 3 wins, 11 goals … Ties 3
RETURN MATCH: 7/31: Seattle Sounders FC vs. LA Galaxy, 1 p.m. PT; 9/25: LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders FC, tbd (ESPN1)