Seattle Sounders 5, FC Dallas 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Seattle Sounders came out hot against an FC Dallas team which rested a handful of starters, and they were able to turn that quick start into a 5-0 victory.
The Sounders went after the Dallas defense right away, and it paid off with a red card and a penalty kick. Andreas Ivanschitz played a give-and-go on the sideline with Joevin Jones, then was able to dribble through a slide tackle to set himself up for a scoring opportunity. His shot was deflected by Maynor Figueroa's right hand, a mistake that earned the Dallas defender an ejection and gave Clint Dempsey a penalty kick goal.
Seattle were quick to take advantage of that extra man. The team hadn't scored three goals in a match all year, but they reached that total before the half hour mark with great passing and cool finishes. Ivanschitz was able to get underneath a long through-ball from Osvaldo Alonso, deftly chipping Dallas goalkeeper Chris Seitz with his left foot. Then Dempsey and Jordan Morris worked passes down the right wing leading to a calm Morris finish.
The match became a 10 vs. 10 affair from the 33rd minute on after Dempsey was ejected for intentionally putting hands in Juan Esteban Ortiz's face. Ortiz initiated contact and did receive a yellow card for unsporting behavior after he oversold the foul.
Despite the even footing, the Sounders were able to put the game to bed in the second half with a solid team goal and a set piece. Substitute Aaron Kovar and Oniel Fisher were able to quickly switch the field, then the trailing Jones was able to smash home his second goal of the season from well outside the penalty area. Seattle then got a fifth with Ivanschitz taking the set piece and sending in a perfect ball which Cristian Roldan barely had to move to head home.
- 6' - SEA - Clint Dempsey (PK)
- 18' - SEA - Andreas Ivanschitz (Osvaldo Alonso)
- 22' - SEA - Jordan Morris (Clint Dempsey)
- 61' - SEA - Joevin Jones (Oniel Fisher)
- 73' - SEA - Cristian Roldan (Andreas Ivanschitz)
- Full Box Score
- IF IT KEEPS ON RAININ', LEVEE'S GOIN' TO BREAK: Against the LA Galaxy on July 9th, the Sounders took a season high 21 shots but were still shut out at home. This time around they only took 12, but got seven of them on target and five of those shots were goals. It was a clinic on offensive efficiency, as the Sounders are suddenly a chance creating machine.
- AIN'T NO REST FOR THE WICKED: Much will be made about the starters Dallas rested tonight, as Mauro Diaz, Fabian Castillo, Michael Barrios, and Maxi Urruti were all left out of the starting lineup. It's hard to blame Oscar Pareja for resting starters as Dallas has another midweek game next week in the US Open Cup quarterfinals and then the start of CONCACAF Champions League play in August.
- MR. JONES AND ME: Joevin Jones was huge for Seattle tonight, with the match sealing goal most memorable. Beyond that moment he was extremely accurate passing up and down the left flank, including a key pass and a lovely early ball that almost sprung Morris on goal. He also had 11 recoveries, as he completely controlled his side of the field.
They Said It
"I had two words for my team and I can't say them on the field, in regards to how they should look at that lineup."
Sigi Schmid, Seattle Head Coach
- SEA: Sunday at Portland Timbers (3:00 pm ET, FOX)
- DAL: Saturday vs. Chicago Fire (9:00 pm ET, MLS LIVE)