Colorado Rapids vs. Sporting Kansas City | 2016 MLS Match Preview
COLORADO RAPIDS vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY
DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PARK • Commerce City, Colo.
July 16, 2016 • Week 19 • MLS Game #192
9 pm ET (MLS LIVE)
It's a meeting of teams firmly in playoff positions in the Western Conference when the Colorado Rapids put their record undefeated run on the line when they meet Sporting Kansas City for a third time this season, Saturday evening at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. The Rapids have not lost in their last 13 league contests, following their last-gasp 2-2 draw at Vancouver Whitecaps FC last weekend, leaving them a point out of the top spot in the conference. Sporting saw their five-game unbeaten run come to an end at midweek in a 1-0 loss at the Chicago Fire, now tied for fifth place and right on the red line in the West.
- The Rapids extended their club-record undefeated streak to 13 games in dramatic fashion, Axel Sjoberg heading home the equalizer five minutes deep in stoppage time after Colorado had a man sent off, giving them a 2-2 draw with Vancouver Whitecaps FC Saturday at BC Place. The Rapids last lost in MLS play on April 9.
- Benny Feilhaber scored for a second consecutive game as Sporting beat New York City FC 3-1 Sunday evening at Children's Mercy Park to earn their second straight victory. Jimmy Medranda also scored for SKC – his first career MLS goal.
- The teams are meeting for a third time this season, the Rapids having won both previous matchups. Shkelzen Gashi netted in the 82nd minute to give the Rapids a 2-1 victory April 13 at Children’s Mercy Park; Dillon Serna scored the game’s lone goal in the 78th minute to lead the Rapids to victory May 11 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
- The Rapids have won the last four meetings between the teams, winning twice at each ground – ending long winless streaks in the process. The Rapids ended a nine-game winless streak against Sporting with their 2-1 win last Aug. 29 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. It was their first victory in the series since March 28, 2009 in Commerce City, ending an 0-4-5 skein against SKC.
- Colorado’s 2-0 victory last Oct. 21 in the final meeting at Sporting Park was their first win in Kansas City since 2002, a 2-1 win at Arrowhead Stadium. After that, Kansas City went 9-0-4 in their next 13 games at home vs. Colorado.
REFEREE: Drew Fischer. AR1 (bench): Daniel Belleau; AR2 (opposite): Jonathan Johnson; 4th: Marcos de Oliveira
MLS Career: 55 games; FC/gm: 26.6; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 6; pens: 15
SUSPENDED: COL: Eric Miller (through July 17)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: COL: Axel Sjoberg, Shkelzen Gashi • KC: Jimmy Medranda
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: COL: Mekeil Williams, Jermaine Jones, Eric Miller Ö KC: Roger Espinoza, Matt Besler, Dom Dwyer
DISABLED LIST: none
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (57 meetings): Rapids 21 wins (3 shootout), 77 goals • KC: Sporting 23 wins (1 shootout), 94 goals • Ties 13
AT COLORADO (29 meetings): Rapids 16 wins (2 shootout), 48 goals • Sporting 5 wins (1 shootout), 38 goals • Ties 8
- Coaches record: Peter Vermes vs. COL: P14 W4 L4 D6 • Pablo Mastroeni vs. KC: P7 W4 L2 D1