Portland Timbers vs. Seattle Sounders FC | 2016 MLS Match Preview
PORTLAND TIMBERS vs. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC
PROVIDENCE PARK • Portland, Ore.
July 17, 2016 • Week 19 • MLS Game #196
3 pm ET (FOX, MLS LIVE)
One of the most pulsating rivalries in American soccer history is renewed when the Portland Timbers meet Seattle Sounders FC for the first time this season Sunday afternoon at Providence Park before a FOX network audience. Both teams come into the match sitting below the red line in the Western Conference. The Timbers are in seventh place, just two points out of playoff positions, despite extending their undefeated streak to nine games in a 1-1 home draw with the Montreal Impact at midweek. Sounders FC pulled themselves off the bottom of the West table in impressive fashion at midweek, rolling to a 5-0 win against MLS overall leaders FC Dallas at CenturyLink Field. The Timbers have won their last three games at Providence Park heading into the week. They have reached draws in each of their last four away games, after the scoreless draw Sunday at Red Bull Arena.
- Sounders FC had their overall winless streak extended to four games – with three defeats in that time – in their 1-0 loss to the LA Galaxy on Saturday afternoon. It was their third 1-0 defeat this season – all at CenturyLink Field.
- The teams evenly split their league series a season ago. Sounders FC won twice, both at CenturyLink Field, including a 2-1 win Aug. 30 in the final meeting. The Timbers took a 4-1 win June 28 at Providence Park – the three-goal victory equaling Portland’s largest margin of victory against the Sounders since a 3-0 win on June 11, 1977, at Civic Stadium.
- The Timbers have never won in Seattle in MLS regular season play, Sounders FC now with a 4-0-2 league record in games at CenturyLink Field. But the Timbers did win there in the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2013.
- Versions of the clubs have faced one another in the NASL, Western Soccer League, APSL/A-League/USL First Division and now MLS. Overall, the clubs have met 94 times in official competitions, Seattle winning 47 times, Portland winning 35, and 12 draws.
More on the game
- Sounders will look to build on walloping of Dallas in Cascadia Cup
- Timbers set to welcome back talismanic Valeri for Sounders clash
- Ex-Timber/Sounder Steve Zakuani explains how the rivalry is different for players
- WATCH: Chronicling the villians of Seattle-Portland
- Greg Lalas: There's plenty beyond bragging rights at stake in Seattle-Portland
- Why Portland-Seattle is a rivalry that goes well beyond soccer
- WATCH: ALL Sounders vs. Timbers goals in MLS
- WATCH: Timbers, Sounders fans show off their tifo game
- The Timbers are now scouting soccer talent in Seattle's home state
- Sounders' Gomez: Seattle-Portland is a rivalry with 'actual bad blood'
REFEREE: Jair Marrufo. AR1 (bench): Frank Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Jeff Hosking; 4th: Mark Geiger
MLS Career: 201 games; FC/gm: 23.4; Y/gm: 2.9; R: 38; pens: 57
SUSPENDED: SEA: Clint Dempsey (through July 17)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: POR: Alvas Powell • SEA: Osvaldo Alonso
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: none
DISABLED LIST: SEA: Roman Torres
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME [MLS] (14 meetings): Timbers 3 wins, 19 goals • Sounders FC 7 wins, 25 goals • Ties 4
AT PORTLAND (7 meetings): Timbers 3 wins, 16 goals • Sounders FC 2 wins, 14 goals • Ties 2
- Coaches record: Sigi Schmid vs. POR: P14 W7 L3 D4 • Caleb Porter vs. SEA: P9 W2 L5 D2