FC Dallas 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
FC Dallas are a tough team to beat at home, and the Vancouver Whitecaps became the latest opponent to find that out the hard way.
Two goals separated by three minutes in the second half earned FC Dallas (13-6-5) a 2-0 victory over the Whitecaps (8-9-6) at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas, on Sunday evening. Kellyn Acosta scored the winning goal in the 56th minute, and that was followed up by a superb finish from Maximiliano Urruti shortly thereafter.
It was a largely one-sided affair between the two Western Conference teams even before the goals, as Dallas outplayed Vancouver by a large margin en route to extending their unbeaten run at home to 17 games.
- 56’ – DAL – Kellyn Acosta (Michael Barrios, Mauro Diaz)
- 59' – DAL – Maximiliano Urruti (Atiba Harris)
- Full boxscore
- Watch highlights
- SMOOTH SAILING: It might have taken FC Dallas some time to find the back of the net, but they were largely the better side on the night. Dallas won the possession battle (57.5%-42.5%), outshot the Whitecaps 16-6, and in the end were deserved winners over their Western Conference foes.
- OFF TARGET: That said, Dallas had trouble finding the back of the net. Only two of their 16 shots were on frame, and those were the ones that came during that three-minute stretch that gave FC Dallas their 2-0 lead. Their first goal involved a poor play from Whitecaps goalkeeper David Ousted, but you could not take anything away from the second strike: It was a heck of a finish from Maximiliano Urruti.
- FLAT ACROSS THE BOARD: Vancouver held firm defensively for the first half and some change, but were mostly subpar. The Whitecaps did not put up much of a fight, and the attack was held in check, finishing with just one shot on goal. Star playmaker Pedro Morales was also very quiet, and was substituted in the 73rd minute.
DAL: CONCACAF Champions League: Thursday, August 4 vs. Real Esteli (8pm ET)
VAN: CONCACAF Champions League: Tuesday, August 2 at Central FC (8pm ET)