Toronto FC 3, Columbus Crew SC, 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Toronto FC dominated the Columbus Crew SC in a 3-0 victory despite missing key starters due to injury.
The Reds took control of the proceedings early on, as a Sebastian Giovinco shot from outside the box in the 8th minute took a major deflection off of Tsubasa Endoh’s back and into the top corner. The Italian added a goal to his evening’s work just minutes later after a slick TFC passing combination to give the home club a 2-0 lead heading into halftime.
Jozy Altidore salted the victory by slotting home a chance late in the match, as Giovinco provided his second assist of the evening.
- ALTIDORE OPENS ACCOUNT: Jozy Altidore has had a frustrating 2016 MLS campaign so far, however those days could be behind the American international as Altidore finally opened his 2016 account, bagging an insurance goal late in the match to give TFC a 3-0 lead. Altidore’s presence was immediately felt as he entered the match in the second half and played 33 minutes. He was dangerous in combining with Giovinco and challenged the Columbus backline with some powerful dribbling attempts.
- TIDY DELGADO: No Michael Bradley or Will Johnson? No problem for Toronto FC’s midfield, as Marky Delgado had one of his classier performances of the season so far. The California native controlled the tempo in midfield, was clean in simple possession and rarely made a mistake on the evening. The Reds will certainly hope Delgado can continue his fine form as they wait for Bradley and Johnson to return.
- GIOVINCO DAZZLES AGAIN: Death, taxes and Giovinco in the box score…once again the Italian maestro was dynamic in leading the Toronto FC attack. While his two assists and one goal were certainly fruitful, he could have easily added to his totals. Toronto’s star DP took six total shots (his second most in a game in 2016) and hit the woodwork twice (most times he’s hit the woodwork in 2016). Columbus will be relieved to not have to face the Atomic Ant in their next MLS contest.
- 8’ – TOR – Tsubasa Endoh (Sebastian Giovinco)
- 24' – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco (Jay Chapman)
- 87' – TOR – Jozy Altidore (Sebastian Giovinco)
- Full box score