Colorado Rapids 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Teamwork makes the dream work, and the Colorado Rapids took that philosophy to heart with two well worked team goals en route to a 2-0 home victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps.
The Rapids opened the scoring just before halftime using accurate passing and solid touches to cut through Vancouver's defense. Marc Burch received the ball on the wing from Marlon Hairston, and used a fake to get his defender to over-commit opening up space. Burch's low cross was smashed in by Hairston to complete the scoring play after continuing his central run.
After halftime Colorado would extend their lead at the hour mark, again with solid passing. Eric Miller slotted the ball through Marcel de Jong's legs on the wing setting up Hairston for a low cross that Dominique Badji smashed into the net from close range.
- 44' - COL - Marlon Hairston (Marc Burch)
- 60' - COL - Dominique Badji (Marlon Hairston, Eric Miller)
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
- I WISH IT WOULD RAIN: The Whitecaps have been struggling in front of goal as of late, and tonight was no different. Last week against FC Dallas the Caps tied a season-low with only one shot on target. Against the tough Rapids defense, they only managed two, with just one attempt inside the penalty area. They've gone scoreless in a franchise record four straight road matches.
- HAIRSTON CAN'T STOP SCORING: That's now three goals in his last four appearances for Marlon Hairston. Pablo Mastroeni has the great problem of rostering several capable fullbacks, and the decision to use Hairston as a midfielder has paid dividends.
- NO PLACE LIKE HOME: The Rapids are undefeated at home this season, and that's thanks largely due to their defense. Colorado have surrendered a league low 19 goals this season, and at home they've surrendered just 5; also a league low.
12 straight unbeaten at home? Yeah, 12 straight unbeaten at home.https://t.co/MOCvnNzmjJ— Colorado Rapids (@ColoradoRapids) August 7, 2016
They Said It
Pablo praising the entire team's hard work tonight: "We aren't where we are in the table by accident."— Colorado Rapids (@ColoradoRapids) August 7, 2016