Houston Dynamo 1, Toronto FC 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The Houston Dynamo had to work hard for that point. Really hard.
Despite playing more than 45 minutes down a man, the Dynamo buckled down on defense after the half and gutted out a 1-1 draw with Toronto FC on Sunday night. The match was originally set for Saturday, but had to be postponed because of thunderstorms and the danger of lightning.
Cristián Maidana gave the hosts a 1-0 led in the 8th minute, but Jozy Altidore hammered home Giovinco's corner kick in the 24th minute -- Altidore's third goal in four matches -- to pull the match level in the 24th.
- 8' -- HOU -- Cristián Maidana (Mauro Manotas, Andrew Wenger)
- 24' -- TOR -- Jozy Altidore (Sebastian Giovinco)
- Complete Box Score
- Watch highlights
- COSTLY DROPPED POINTS: TFC could have leapfrogged New York City into the Eastern Conference lead with a victory on Sunday night, but remain one point back of the lead. They did take over sole possession of second place, though, leading the New York Red Bulls by one point -- and they have a game in hand on both of the New York sides.
- STRONG IN HIS FIRST START: Mauro Manotas made his first start up top for the Dynamo, and it didn't take him long to reward interim manager Wade Barrett for the vote of confidence. Manotas delivered a perfect ball that Cristián Maidana finished for an early 1-0 lead, and was an energetic handful for the TFC defense all night.
- THE STREAKS GO ON: Sunday night's 1-1 draw extended unbeaten and winless streaks for both teams. Toronto FC had a four-match winning string snapped but are still unbeaten in their last five, while Houston are now winless in their last six outings. On the other hand, the Dynamo have not lost in their last four against the Reds, whose last victory in the series came by a 4-2 margin on July 12, 2014