Central FC 2, Sporting Kansas City 2 | 2016-17 CCL Match Recap
Ellis' 70th-minute goal salvaged a 2-2 draw for Sporting in Tuesday night's match at Couva, Trinidad and Tobago. That result kept Vancouver atop the group with three points.
Jones, who will play for MLS expansion side Atlanta United in 2017, and Marcus Joseph scored for Central, who took a 2-1 lead out of a five-minute goal-scoring spree early in the second half.
Left back Seth Sinovic put Sporting up 1-0 in the 51st, when a ball took a deflection off his chest and in -- but Central roared back with goals from Joseph in the 54th minute and Jones in the 56th, before Ellis equalized.
- 51' - SKC - Seth Sinovic
- 54' - CFC - Marcus Joseph (Sean de Silva)
- 56' - CFC - Kenwyne Jones (Marcus Joseph)
- 70' - SKC - Kevin Ellis (Brad Davis)
- Full Box Score
- RARE GOAL FOR SINOVIC: Tuesday night's goal was just the third of Seth Sinovic's MLS career, which started in 2010 with the New England Revolution -- and like the other two, it came outside of MLS regular-season play. Sinovic scored his first two goals in the postseason, the first in 2012 and the second during Sporting's run to the 2013 MLS Cup title.
- ONE IN, ONE WAVED OFF: Trinidad and Tobago captain Kenwyne Jones actually put the ball in the net twice on Tuesday night, but the first time didn't count. In the 41st minute, Jones and Sporting 'keeper Jon Kempin both went for a ball in the air, and collided as Jones headed the ball into the goal. Jones was called for a foul on the play, however, and the first half ended scoreless.
- BIG STOPS: Central FC goalkeeper Javon Sample did concede two goals, but his six saves kept the Sharks from dropping to 0-2 in Group C. Sample came up big several times late in the match, as Sporting -- who outshot the hosts 18-15 on the night -- pressed furiously but unsuccessfully for a winner.
- SKC -- Saturday, Aug. 20 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 10 pm ET (MLS LIVE, TSN1 in Canada)