San Jose Earthquakes vs. New England Revolution | 2016 MLS Match Preview
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
Avaya Stadium | San Jose, California
Wednesday, August 24 | Week #25 | MLS Game #255
10:30 pm ET (MLS LIVE)
A critical interconference match for a pair of clubs sitting below the red line is ahead when the San Jose Earthquakes entertain the New England Revolution on Wednesday evening at Avaya Stadium. The Quakes sit in seventh place in the Western Conference, just a point outside of the top six and the playoff positions, their five-game undefeated run put to an end in a 2-1 home loss to the Houston Dynamo last Friday evening. The Revolution hit the road after seeing their losing slide extended to four matches in a 2-0 home loss to Columbus Crew SC, leaving them in eighth place in the Eastern Conference, just two points out of the final playoff place.
- The Quakes had their five-game undefeated run overall put to an end, dropping a 2-1 decision to the Houston Dynamo on Friday evening at Avaya Stadium. The Quakes have not won back-to-back games since winning the opening two matches of the season, March 6 and 13 vs. Colorado and Portland.
- The Revolution suffered a fourth consecutive loss – their second in a row at Gillette Stadium – in their 2-0 defeat by Columbus Crew SC on Saturday evening. It was a second consecutive attacking shutout for the Revs on their home ground.
- The Revolution have won the last three meetings between the teams over the last three seasons, including a 2-1 win at Gillette Stadium last year in the only match between the clubs.
- This is the first meeting ever at Avaya Stadium. When the Revolution won 2-1 in 2014 in the final encounter at Buck Shaw Stadium, it was their first win in northern California since 2009. The Revolution have won the last two meetings at Gillette Stadium, their first home wins vs. the Quakes since the 2009 season.
REFEREE: Hilario Grajeda. AR1 (bench): Ian Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Corey Parker; 4th: Daniel Radford
MLS Career: 134 games; FC/gm: 24.0; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 24; pens: 24
SUSPENDED: NE: London Woodberry (yellow card accumulation; through Aug. 24)
SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: SJ: Fatai Alashe … NE: Scott Caldwell
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: SJ: Anibal Godoy, Jordan Stewart … NE: Kei Kamara
DISABLED LIST: NE: Xavier Kouassi
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
ALL-TIME (39 meetings): Earthquakes 20 wins (0 shootout), 68 goals … Revolution 14 wins (2 shootout), 50 goals … Ties 5
AT SAN JOSE (19 meetings): Earthquakes 10 wins (0 shootout), 38 goals … Revolution 6 wins (2 shootout), 25 goals … Ties 3
LAST YEAR (MLS):
3/28: NE 2, SJ 1 (Rowe 21, 37 – Wondolowski 62)
• This is the only league meeting between the teams this season.
• Coaches record: Dominic Kinnear vs. NE: P26 W8 L10 D8 … Jay Heaps vs. SJ: P4 W3 L1 D0